Cost of a gator whipping (link)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ABeaver, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ABeaver

ABeaver Founding Member

2. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I am not a coach by any means, but I have my doubts about the offense he ran at Utah working in the SEC. Take for example the option, if the defense is coached properly, will NOT work in the SEC. The reason? too much speed on the defense, particularly at linebacker. Now I am not saying they are going to run the option but I think the same applies for a spread offense. Whos going to protect the QB?

One of the plays diagrammed on the ebay link is "Zone L read option R", and that is the play where the RB runs one way and the QB the other (they crisscross). Like I said I am no coach, but do they always use such a generic defensive formation in diagramming offensive plays? I can imagine LSU's defense would eat this alive.

Like I said I have my doubts about that offense, and about Chris Leak being able to run 20 times a game like the QB at Utah.

LSU!
    :geauxtige

:crystal:

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Man, i would love to have that playbook for when i start coaching. That offense would be great in HS.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First, that wasn't Urban's diagram of the play, that was the guys seeling the websies diagram. I woud geuss that UF will have the play diagramed against a few defenses at least and then do it on the chalk board for each opponent in postion meetings.

As for his offense, UF seemd to be pretty impressed with it since they offered him the job. Lord knows the quality of the defenses this offense will be facing will go up quite a bit in the SEC though. And I too would be surprised if Leak ran the ball 20 times a game as well. But they do have a lot of passes off the exact same formations as well as run/pass options. It will interesting to see how they develope it at UF.

LSU ran that same play with Mauck and Randall on quite a few occasions. Texas used a very similar play very well vs Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

5. BamaHeelBengal

BamaHeelBengal Founding Member

NO doubt about Leak's abitlity but he seems to me more of a drop back passer suited for another offense. Time will tell what happens in G'ville but I think Meyer will prove to be a good coach only he won't win as much because the competition level is higher in the SEC than anywhere, imho.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

well i dont' think Meyer will allow Leak to run the ball 20 times a game, he'll probably make some adaptions to how UF's offense is best suited... Leak is a great drop back passer, but he is very athletic too and can run when needed

7. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

The spread worked for Spurrier in the SEC. Couldn't protect the QB in the pros though.

8. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

i am anxious to see what there offense looks like....but yeah he cant run the same exact one he ran at utah here in the south....with the speed of the defenses in the sec yikes....mr leak could get hurt easily.

9. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Spurrier ran alot of two WR sets. Really didn't use the spread anymore than the other SEC teams do now. Most teams use the spread a bit, just not as their primary formation. Even so when he did run 4 or 5 WR sets, Spurrier was using something not really seen too much at that time. SEC Defenses are much more adept at stopping wierd offenses like that now.

Urban Meyer at Utah ran the spread alot. It will be interesting to see if it works. I still say you have to protect the QB better than the spread offense will allow. I do not believe you can run an SEC QB as much as Utah ran theirs.

I will disagree for now with the poster who said Leak is athletic enough to run. You could be right, but based on that run he tried to make against LSU - and Jessie Daniels flying in and dropping him cold - I would not anticipate Leak being a threat running the ball.

of course this is all just my .02 biased a bit by my hatred for UF and the fact I reside in Orlando surrounded by gators. :cry:

:geauxtige
    LSU!

:crystal: