Crowton > genius < points per game average

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDieHard, Nov 15, 2009.

1. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I've been hearing the offensive woes are due to Miles shackling the genius of Crowton. I did a little look back at how Crowton offenses have done as far as points per game.

As HC at BYU:

2002 - 22.6 ppg
    2003 - 16.3 ppg
    2004 - 24.0 ppg

As OC at Oregon:

2005 - 34.2 ppg
    2006 - 29.4 ppg

As OC at LSU:

2007 - 38.7 ppg
    2008 - 30.3 ppg
    2009 - 25.0 ppg

Now a look at Miles:

As HC at Oklahoma St:

2002 - 34.3 ppg
    2003 - 35.9 ppg
    2004 - 32.2 ppg

As HC at LSU with Jimbo:

2005 - 28.6 ppg (this is Katrina year)
    2006 - 33.8 ppg

and again with Crowton:

2007 - 38.7 ppg
    2008 - 30.3 ppg
    2009 - 25.0 ppg

I report. You decide.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's mostly a lot of disgruntled fan talk, I think. Others moan about how Les should override Crowton. I think its all nonsense.

Les can have it his way. If he wasn't pleased with Crowton he could replace him. If Crowton wasn't pleased, he could leave. Trust me, if last years DC's could both find jobs, Crowton could do so easily.

I think both are professionals and know what their jobs are.

1 person likes this.
  3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I realize we are talking about the Bears but still (ref: GC taking BYU job):

"It might have been a good time for Crowton to leave. The Bears have scored one touchdown in the past 18 quarters and they rank 25th in the NFL in passing, 29th in scoring and 20th in scoring."

Bears' Crowton Bolts For BYU - CBS News

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Really? It's that simple? Personnel plays absolutely no part?

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Yes...everywhere he goes...every job he's ever had...the personnel were responsible for his steady decline year after year. Crowton = genius. :rolleye33:

This is so obvious, it was reported as soon as he was hired. LSU fans were warned to enjoy it fast...because it would steadily decline. Hey, his offense was good enough to bring us an NC in his first year, so great job by him. But since, all downhill. Now obviously, the QB position isn't what it was then. But other than that, we have equal or even greater talent at the other offensive skill positions. And for what it's worth, as the offensive coordinator, it is CROWTON'S job to put that talent in the right position to make plays. If something's too complicated for the personnel we have, DO SOMETHING ELSE! Hell, I don't know, run the phuggin ball instead of letting 7 for 22 happen. We should've had 350 yds rushing last night.

6. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Here's what my eyes tell me-

Crowton has been here 3 years.

JLee has been here 3 years.

Crowton has NOT gotten Jarrett Lee ready to play SEC calibur football.

JLee has had 3 fall camps, almost 3 complete seasons and 2 springs, and he's still this bad?

Gary Crowton is the OC and Quarterbacks coach. JLee's lack of improvement comes down to 2 people- Crowton and Lee.

I fault Les Miles and the entire staff for not recruiting a quality QB.

I fault Crowton for the development of the QB's once we get them.

It's been bad.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

7. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I dont know who is play calling but it falls on Miles because he is the HC. So either he has to step in and make the calls if it is Crowton. If Miles is overriding his calls then he has to let Crowton run it how he sees fit. Something is obviously wrong here and needs to get fixed.

8. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I'll say one or two more things about our offense.....

We're boring. Very painful to watch. And confusing. I can't understand what our gameplan is....EVER.

I'm sitting there watching last night's game. We have the ball 1st and 10 at the Tech 36 yard line in the second half.

We had a 17-13 lead. I'm thinking about points here and Lee hadn't completed a pass since the 1st half of Ole Miss in 2008. I know that we need 6 yards or so for a chance at a FG. I'm thinking a run and then a play-action pass on 2nd down. Ummm.... NOPE!!!

These idiots are trying to throw and Lee is missing BAD. We threw 3 straight incompletions and punted.

THe next time we got the ball, we threw on 1st down again. I thought, "surely we'll run it now". I was waiting for KW or Ridley or Shep to get some carries....

Umm..... NOPE!!! We threw it 3 more times and completed 1 for about 5 or 6 yards.

Last night was bad, real bad.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Ok let's talk personnel... Here's a just a few studs we have on offense:

Russell Shepard
    Jordan Jefferson
    K. Williams
    C. Scott
    T. Holiday
    R. Randle
    Lafell
    Toliver
    Dickson
    Murphy
    Jackson
    Ridley

We have too many huge and speedy weapons to be sputtering on offense only averaging 25ppg. That should be an embarrassment to this offensive squad. We have a freshman QB who i'm not saying needs to be taking long shots down field, but why not give Garrett a shot... the kid is huge 6-4, 235 pounds... he's a pro style QB with a rocket arm from what was mentioned when we recruited him... he could take a few dump screen passes to KW or even RS or one of the beast recievers we have... at his size he won't be going down too easily either... and again we have a freshman FB in Thomas Parsons who's the same height and only 28 pounds lighter then Ciron Black... (he's 6-5, 295)... why not line him up as a FB and use him as a blocking back for either Scott or Willimas, or let him create huge holes for RS or JJ. GC is not utilizing our weapons and size... I'm tired of seeing LSU with reserve players that are MONSTROUS and riding pine... not sure what it's going to take to start putting points on the board, but with the squad we have now 25ppg should be writing on the wall for GC if he doesn't turn things around.
    After 3 years of GC, it's painfully apparent that he can win with seniors... but he does not have what it takes to develop talent. We are currently 4-4 in the SECW the last two seasons with Ole Piss and R-Kansas the next two weeks... if we struggle the next two weeks, and close the 08/09 seasons with a 4-6 SECW record, and a dismal 25ppg average... start crossing those blue chip recruits off the list... they'll go to our competition.
    Only bright side right now is the 13.7ppg our D is allowing.

10. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Well said. Thats the thing, JJ has proven in the last few games he can throw down the field now yet he is handcuffed in the play calling. Lee cant complete a pass to save his life yet they give him free reign to go down the field? Horrible coaching.