Dear Trev: A Fisking

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUChicageaux, Dec 17, 2003.

1. LSUChicageaux

LSUChicageaux Founding Member

www.lsuchicageaux.com

Here is my open letter and analysis of Trev Alberts' most recent column. Yeah, yeah - I've got too much time on my hands.

Constructive feedback in this post is welcome -
    Or you can just call me a big loudmouth. Whatever.

I thought he deserved it...now I think I've spent more than enough time concerning myself with that guy.

On to other stuff - Brandon Boss is enormous.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Good response. By the way, what does "fisking" mean? It sounds like some kind of deviant sex act.

3. LSUChicageaux

It's defined at the bottom of the article; it's basically a point-by-point refutation of an entire article...usually only done when the errors are so egregious that they warrant such scrutiny.

But it could also be a deviant sex act, and likely is. I'll get the tarp.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

There is no need for any "fisking" when dealing with Trev Alberts. Simply wait 24 hours and he will do a complete 180 and argue the other side. It's amazing that while he is talking his two co hosts are continually shaking their heads and laughing. He is the most confused sports talking head I have ever seen.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

One thing you've touched upon is the way Trev is perceived by many in his audience. I think what really irks people is not that he has somewhat wild and frequently unsubstantiated opinions, but that he states them so strongly and emphatically ("Are you KIDDING me?") that he comes across as being condescending to those who disagree with him...and then he changes his mind more often than not!

Another point: if the BCS is "just doing it's job" in giving us a more objective means of ranking teams through the end of the regular season, why stop there? Let's have one last BCS ranking after the bowls are complete--it sure would keep people interested in many of the minor bowls (would a N Texas loss come into play in the race b/w LSU and USC?)

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Memphis win over North Texas State helps LSU's strength of schedule ratings in the computers because Ole Miss played Memphis - even though Ole Miss lost. If Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Auburn all win their bowl games it would give a big boost to LSU's SOS if they still run all that through the BSC computers. Wouldn't it be weird if LSU beat OU and all those teams lost and the BCS took that into account and rated LSU second or third after the bowls?

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I guess that is all possible but they dont run the computers again so we'd never know.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Great "Fisking" Chicageaux. I only wish Trev could read it.
    Now, about that Sugar Bowl bra you bought to wear for the game. Please tell me you are of the female persuasion.

9. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

Nice fisking. Richard Gere would be jealous.

You should email this to Trev. He would love it.

10. LSUChicageaux

First, I'm male. I don't wear a bra. Maybe one day, but it'll have to be for good money or free boudin.

Second, I think there's an interesting point here about final BCS rankings - I'm not sure exactly what they would reveal. Maybe that X team's bowl victory was more significant than Y team's bowl victory? I certainly don't think that any titles should be decided by a final run, as it does once again take the game out of the situation.

I personally think that BCS has worked - I am upset that a controversy has erupted, and I'm also a little upset that many writers and coaches didn't have the stones to rank LSU higher.

USC cannot be called a "clear #1;" they didn't receive all of the 1st-place votes in either poll. For the last several weeks of the season, OU WAS a clear #1. But even following the OU loss, they were still receiving 1st-place votes. USC just happened to garner the most, because they fell into place.

Any objective viewer can see that there is no clear #1. While I am confident that LSU could compete with either USC or OU, it's unfortunate that that opportunity doesn't present itself. There has to be some mechanism in place (aside from a playoff, which I am not terribly convinced is the best solution) to factor this out.