Devery Henderson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerFan23, Aug 4, 2004.

1. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I know this isn't a Saints Board, but I wanted to see what y'all thought about the fact that he still hasn't signed with the team. I want Devery to be very successful in the NFL and he's definately hurting his chances of making the team. I wish he would just sign and get it over with! :cuss:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well he will make the team, no doubt. But he will indeed hurt any chance of gettin playing time this year.

Although there is a hamstring due to be pulled in late September by a Saints receiver who I will not name to protect his privacy. Devery may get to step in at that point.

3. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

He will be 5th string if he is lucky behind Mike Lewis. The Saints are deep at the WR position. I guess he wants 2end string $. I don't know why the Saints even picked him? I would have taken a CB or an Offensive lineman.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

He's tryinhg to get a little too much and the Saints are trying to get off cheap, they'll meet in the middle eventually put the guy behind him kind of blew up the slotting by getting more than he should have. I don't blame Devery at all and he won't fall too far behind in a week our so. Hopefully they get him in camp soon. Can't believe people are questioning the Saints taking Him in the draft already, geez.

5. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I heard on WWL this morning that Devery is holding out for $1.42 million, while the Saints have offered about $1.41 million (exact difference being about $15,000). Devery can obviously do whatever he wants, but it seems like a relatively trivial amount to hold out for...

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Especially when he has zero leverage.

7. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Founding Member

But his initials are Donte Stallworth (aka Cam Cleeland, Jr.).

8. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I heard Loomis

say on Buddy D maybe Monday night that the sticking point was bonus money....signing bonus money. And the two picks around him hadn't signed either so they have no figure to work from which makes it hard.

He'll be fine. Haslett and Loomis are giving him a snow job by saying, "He needs to get in here or he may not make the team." You only get this opportunity one time....only one chance at a first contract. Get all you can.

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

1) Pay little attention to any bluster coming out of Saints camp. That's all it is at this point, bluster. A rookie WR who has zero chance of starting is gonna see the field *maybe* 10-15% of all offensive plays this year and play almost exclusively on special teams.

Missing a week or so of camp is no big deal considering...

2) The reason why he's holding out. Sub-1st round picks and the teams that draft them rely almost exclusively on slotting when discussing money--part what the same pick position received contract-wise in 2003, part what the guy immediately before and after the draftee receives in 2004.

That leaves very little wiggle room from a money standpoint, and sometimes (like, when it's not a major imperative to get a rookie into camp on time, as is the case with Devery) the team or the player or both try to pay a little less or get a little more, respectively, than that narrow "slotting" usually allows.

That's what's going on here, IMO. Keep in mind that, given the average length of an NFL player's career (between 3 and 4 years), this may be the ONLY contract Devrey ever signs (or, more likely, one of two he'll sign over his career). Given that, you'd better do your best to get as much coin as you can during those rare opportunities to do so.

Dev will sign by the first preseason game (next Friday), work his tail off on special teams, probably working his way in on kickoff returns and/or punt returns, get onto the field in 4 or 5 WR sets and get the backup gig behind Stallworth next season once Pathon gets sent packing.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

someone gets it.