Did any of you guys notice this ......

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Jul 18, 2015.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I hope the bureaucratic nitwit that thought this was the right thing to do has lost some sleep, or better yet, gets fired.

This photo will probably become iconic!

This goes to the core of the gun debate. More laws, signs, etc. will solve nothing if a PERSON is willing to break the law! And those that are not gonna break the law, well, we don't need extra laws. Hard nut to crack!

[​IMG]

LSUTiga and gyver like this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Department of defense policy is that guns may be carried on military facilities "when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried." Rather than making military bases "gun-free zones," the 1992 directive issued by the Department of Defense instead describes the circumstances under which guns can be carried on military bases.

Under the circumstances, it would appear that this is an easy fix. DoD only needs to rule that recruiting stations are potential targets for terrorists and arm responsible personnel. The sign only warns civilians entering the facility that they are subject to a search for firearms and makes it a crime to do so. This allows someone caught with a gun there to be convicted, even if they have a carry permit.

To limit and control the carrying of firearms by DoD military and civilian personnel. The authorization to carry firearms shall be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried. Evaluation of the necessity to carry a firearm shall be made considering this expectation weighed against the possible consequences of accidental or indiscriminate use of firearms. DoD personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties shall be armed. [Department of Defense, 2/25/92]

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't DOD personell ALWAYS engaged in law enforcement or security when their on duty?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not at all. Many are civilian employees--secretaries, clerks, contractors, and stuff. Even active duty personnel have never routinely carried loaded firearms around bases when not on combat duty. Usually its just the military police at stateside bases. But they can be armed if there is a problem that arming them solves.

It won't stop drive-by shootings, though. Recruiting centers will have to take other precautions in the future. Car barricades, blast-resistant glass, etc. And probably security guards. I suspect we will see consolidation of all-services recruiting offices in fewer, more secure locations.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Um no. I was a mechanic and touched a military gun twice in 9 years.

Twice.

IF you lived on base we were not allowed to store any gun in our home.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I thought we could if they were registered with the PMO but I think you are right, I think they had to be locked up in the company arms room.

Either way, no military personnel don't have their weapons on them at all times, what a cluster phuck that would be. This however was a recruiting station no? Those are usually in some strip mall or town square or what have you and not considered a military installation as far as I know. Maybe they just need to put better glass on the windows.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yea, I am not sure about every base. I was AF. I just remember them saying we had to store our guns at the Armory with the SP's.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The more I think about it I'm pretty sure that is it, I will find out for sure. I know for a fact the guys that lived in the barracks had to keep them in the arms room but I'm not sure about the folks that lived in housing. I know I never kept my bow in the arms room.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The solution isn't more laws. The solution is the right laws and fully funded enforcement.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I didn't mean the civilian employees but the role and mission of the DOD is the security of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. So even if a lowly private is mopping the barracks or a drill sergeant is just making that private do pushups technically they are pursuing their role in the defense of the US. That broad interpretation would give the powers that be the leeway to authorize personnel who may be subject to random attacks to carry firearms.

I have seen lots of recruiting stations at strip malls in rented office space just like the surrounding cell phone stores, bail bondsmen, insurance companies and Subways. I don't see how you could put up any effective car barricades at places like that. Not much defense against somebody with a van full of explosives who rams the office with it