Dinardo leaves a mark?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I was walking out of my class in the new COX COMMUNICATIONS academic Center for Student Athletes and noticed something. There are benches and chairs in the two lobbies. Each item of furniture has a small plate with the name of a donor. There is a chair on the north side of the building with Gerry Dinardo's name on it.

AND, I would just like to go on the record as saying that the new building is ridiculously expense and a bit too extreme. The auditorium in there holds 1,000 students. ONE THOUSAND STUDENTS. How can you have a class like that? The auditorium is about twice the size of an IMAX theatre.

Each seat in the auditorium has a little keypad on it for surveys held by the professor. I guess it's kinda like the thing they have on the Millionaire show.

I will say that the seats in there are incredibly comfortable. I won't mind taking a few midday naps in there this semester. ALTHOUGH, even the seats present a problem for me because there aren't any left-handed seats. Damn right-handed discrimination.

Most people are in awe of the place, including me. I just don't think it's the best use of funds. What am I going to get out of that class that I couldn't get last semester in a 200-seat auditorium?

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I believe the Center was built through private funds?

Even though it has 1000 seats, I doubt there will be any classes of that size.

Wouldn't it be great if we had this kind of facilities for ALL students?

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I believe there is a psychology class in there that had 999 listed as it's max enrollment.

4. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

It should help to end the backlogging that happens with some of the 1st year classes. There are classes in the room that all filled up.

5. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Geez! How would you like to be 10 minutes late for that class, and be the 999th person in, and try to find the last seat?:D

6. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

it does have a class, my girlfriend has her psych class in there and she said it's HUGE!

7. roussel_10

roussel_10 Founding Member

classes with size of a 1000

History of Jazz is another in that place with an enrollment of 1000. I don't think they ever get 1000 students to take the class, but who knows.

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I am kind of glad we are on the leading edge. I hope it spills over to "regular" students as well.

Does LSU have a WiFi network set up on campus?
    It just seems like it would be a perfect fit for students and professors to be be able to use their laptops all over campus to access the internet or the school's network. Putting keypads in a classroom is good, but what about being to send homework, outlines, pictures, video, assignments ..etc to the students wirelessly in the classroom to their laptops.No more carting in a TV to show a video in class. Just stream it to their laptops. Of course laptops would have to be required, but if they are not yet they should be.

9. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

the classroom is open to regular students. there was once talk that all incoming freshmen had to have a laptop, but i don't think that will ever happen. A lot of professors now, won't let people use laptops in their classes. about the wireless internet, i think they have it on campus now, but i'm not sure, someone else may need to help answer that one for you.

10. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

St Joseph's Academy in BR was requiring laptops at least 4 years ago. I know that are not cheap, but there are full featured laptops for under $1000 retail and with the size of LSU I am sure they could get even better prices.

Why don't the professors allow them? It is because of games and stuff like that. I can see that they would not like them during tests either (cheating), but other than those 2 I see them as more helpful than hurting.

With tablet PCs and the ability to take notes directly on your computer screen and store all classes on one computer instead of multiple notepads I would have killed for something like that