Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Do you root for foreign athletes playing in the US?

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Feb 17, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

For me, this question is mostly about the NBA. I don't follow MLB that closely anymore but Latin and Asian players could be considered.

In the NBA, I like many of the American born players but am turned off by quite a few also. Over the past few years, I find myself rooting for most of the international players such as Dirk, Nash, the Gasol brothers (although not Pao as much with the Lakers), Rubio, Dragic, Ibaka, Ginobli, Scola, etc.

There are only a few that I've never liked. One of them was Tony Parker but even he has somewhat won me over after last year's playoff run.
  2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

Sure. They are pretty likeable dudes.

But I also root for American-born players (of course).
  3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

someone is pretty bored today.
  4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

shit, the board has been slow. I applaud his efforts.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I've never really thought of their nationality in the NBA. My family is from San Antonio so Tony Parker, Manu and the others are very well liked. I like guys that seem like good people and are exciting to watch on the basketball court.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon

I never think much about their origins when deciding whether I like a player. I consider their skills and also what they bring as far as personality and contributions to society. I saw a clip on Dikembe Mutombo on TV recently and he does huge charity work in Africa and around the world for his own foundation and for about 8 other major charities. You got to appreciate a guy who gives back.