Does bye week give Gators an advantage?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lftcsttgr, Oct 5, 2009.

1. lftcsttgr

lftcsttgr Freshman

There are different ways to look at this. My view will probably be in the minority but I think it actually benefits LSU. Here is why:

- the way we've been playing we need all of the game reps we can get to get our game in gear. Having had played GA the week before I believe prepared us better for this week, from both an execution stand point and as well (and maybe more importantly) from a mental/confidence standpoint.

- As far as the Gaytors, yes they do have an extra week to get Tebow healed and to get the backup more reps in practice. But if they do go with the backup, it would have been better for him to get a start before meeting LSU. No amount of practice can really prepare you for your first start on the road in the SEC specially at Tiger Stadium. That is definitely advantage LSU.

If Tebow does play (which I hope he does) I just hope the refs don't go overboard in trying to protect him... that should be his family, doctors and coaches jobs. If he steps on the field he is just like every other player out there. I have a feeling that if we even look at him the wrong way, the refs will throw a flag.

2. Kurtis Bleaux

Kurtis Bleaux Founding Member

Yes. It gives time for Tebow to heal and that's the most important thing for the Gaytors. He's gonna play. So advantage bye week.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Always an advantage. A huge one this week.

4. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Obviously there is no way to get into the heads of two football teams but I feel the mojo is with LSU on this one. The Tigers haven't played their best ball yet and they know it. They've also been taking a lot of heat from everyone and I feel they've circled the wagons and want to make a statement. They've also been battle tested unlike the Gators.

The Gators have also been dealing with the distraction of Tebow's injury and whether Tebow plays or not, will have to play a completely different style of offense than they've played in years.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

mostly a myth but it is in this case due to their main guy being banged up.

bye weeks often disrupt momentum of teams. there are statistics to back it up. i just dont feel like looking.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

That's the biggest disadvantage of them and I also agree that the stats would bear it out but I ain't looking either. :lol:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It can happen, but you have to have momentum to disrupt first. But open dates also gives you time to get beaten-up players rested and ready. Late-season bye weeks are damned handy in the SEC.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

its ok. most believe the myth since its been repeated to them for years. but its mostly a myth.

9. dudley

dudley oops!

Sometimes a bye week helps, but in this case I don't think so. Our team and fans are fired up after the Georgia win and it's Saturday night in Tiger Stadium. An extra game this early in the season may be a help to us.

Speaking of injuries I wonder if Downs and Aghayere will be ready to play.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Never played football, but I imagine the bye is more advantageous with regards to injuries healing.

As far as game planning, That's probably done before this week...with some minor game week adjustments. I don't think one less game film to look at ia bad in this case because that coaching staff has been there for a while.

One week is time enough to implement it in practice. Although Miles does a lot better with 3 or 4 weeks to plan and practice...(cf) Ga Tech.

but what do I know...I'm just a sunshine pumping cook :hihi:.