Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Dog Food and Treats

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by HalloweenRun, Jun 1, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

I can't figure out how stoopid some people must be.

I don't buy jack for my dogs unless it clearly states, MADE IN USA (or Canada).

Some of these companies still say, "Manufactured for xxxx, yy, USA" and other crap. I don't get it. Is there no marketing department. Don't they know most folks run from the possibility that they might give Rover (or Kujo) something made in China with God knows what in it.

I lack formal dog food selling training, but it seems that the bag would say, something like "MADE IN THE USA FROM USA STUFF" .

Do you guys feed your mutts stuff made in China?
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Dogs have evolved to eat human garbage and they thrive on it. My dogs have always gotten table scraps supplemented by a good kibble and some dog biscuits from Wal-Mart. We eat foreign-made food all the time, why should the dog eat better than I?
  3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

If you give your dog anything made in China you are an idiot.

I have a very expensive Great Dane and have taken great precautions to feed her a grain free diet. She ate Taste of the Wild for a long time but then she started vomiting and boycotting it. I'm now in the process of changing foods, but she is currently eating Iams which has grains in it.....I'm not wild about it, but it's the only thing she'll eat.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon

My last dog lived to be 16, chief. Despite what labels say, there are ingredients in pet foods that can come from anywhere. I get a high-protein feed that the dog likes. I think it's made here, but that ain't why I buy it. It may have some grain, but domestic dogs can digest carbohydrates, something the wolves cannot. I understand that some may have allergies, but mine never have.

Does her therapist think this is a problem? :D
  5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

Well you obviously didn't feed him treats made in China over the past 5 years or so, Ace.

http://www.petproductnews.com/headl...ufactured-dog-and-cat-treats-from-stores.aspx
    shane0911 likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Ol Roy Biscuits, Bub. I think they are made in Canada. But they had a recall once because they discovered some Chinese wheat in their silos. Like I said, you can't track all of the ingredients, you just know where they mixed it, kibbled it, and bagged it up.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sort of like Potted Meat Product that is sold for human consumption. I wouldn't feed that stuff to a dog
    old school likes this.
  8. old school

old school Freshman

I used to eat potted meat when I was a child until I read the label around the age of 10. I will never forget one ingredient listed as "partially defatted fatty tissue". I stopped eating it at that point and never had the urge to spread it on a cracker since. I did taste a tiny piece of, "Gaines-burger" destined for my dog as a child. Not a lot of taste, kind of waxy.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Once when I was in high school and there was a hurricane approaching Baton Rouge my Dad stocked up on hurricane supplies, including a number of cans or potted meat product. I snuck it out of the house and dumped it into the poor box at the grocery store and then bought cans of tuna, chicken and other stuff that I would actually eat. Funny thing is my Dad never said anything
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I feed my pups Rachel Ray grain free food. A lot of the normal Purina or Iams dog foods have artificial coloring in them and they change the color of my Shi Tzu's hair. They love the grain free.