Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

DON'T FAINT: HWR in with a POSITIVE Contribution

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by HalloweenRun, Apr 12, 2014.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

OK, great LSU parents, time to walk the walk.

A little hands on MATH PROJECT for you and your kids. Yeah, it has a little trig, but me and Sal Khan have taken care of it for you. The only problem is lack of purple and gold paint.

But you guys can fix that.

Ok, We are gonna show you how to build something with your kids, and then use MATH to aim and launch ping pong balls, crawfish, or even a boudin ball into grandpa's mouth. Remember the purple and gold paint.

First Video: How to build the launcher. (This is not a jackleg POS, either):

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...le_launcher/v/build-a-ping-pong-ball-launcher

Next a little math with a little trig, showing your kids (I am sure you remember trig) how you could figure out, how far it will shoot! Even if your kids are middle school, the math should be a snap. If you can figure out initial m/s velocity, you can do some pretty accurate shooting. This video is more of the CONCEPT. But you can figure initial velocity out, if you take a bunch of measurements, but your kids, would rather, I am certain, just lock, load, and fire!

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ional-projectile-mot/v/projectile-at-an-angle

I am going to, I think, assemble the parts to make six of these. Since it is math class, I am going to make students figure out how best to approximate the initial velocity, as well, once we get back to school, after spring break.

Give it a try...but you need a lot of tools!
    stevescookin likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

My son's 5th grade class just started to participate in the Khan Academy. What is your opinion on it's effectiveness or use as a tool?
    HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali The Bionic Burro

Practical application is always the best teacher.

My kid has used KA for years. He/ I swear by it.
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

I think it is GREAT as a tool. When I give assignments, or units, I always list some KHAN ACADEMY links that can provide assistance. I think Sal Khan is great, adn I find I say/do a lot of the same things he does.

The only problem with KHAN, and it is not his fault, that too many kids go into the "hey, its a movie mode, and I am here to enjoy." I really have to put the pressure on my students to ensure they use KHAN to learn or to reinforce, not just watch and forget. Once you are clear of that hurdle, you are in great hands with Khan

Another great site, is LEARNZILLION. It is aligned with common core. It is now free, but I am hearing talk of LeanZillion Premium.

A third great site for practice is IXL.com. Without joining you can work 20 problems a day.

Good Luck
  5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

6. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

Thank you! The 5th grade teacher is a major tech supporter and she keeps a tight lid on what the kids access on their devices. I received the request link to sign up for a parent account at Khan. I will do that.

I checked out IXL this morning and it looks really good. Exactly what my 5th and 7th graders can use. Awesome tips.