Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Don't Go Near the Water

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Bengal B, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. locoguano

locoguano Fear the Beard.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same problems with these sharks that you see with alligators and wolves... overly aggressive federal protections despite of public danger leading to overpopulation and the need for culling.
    LSUDad likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Sharks actually are endangered worldwide due to overfishing. We are losing them at an unsustainable rate of over 6% a year. They face extinction in the next century. Most are caught only for their fin which is removed before they heave the rest of the dead shark overboard. Just so the Chinese can eat shark-fin soup. The fugging Chinese are also making the elephant and the rhino extinct. We need international protections from the mindless self-indulgence of the Chinese.

Like wolves and alligators sharks and other predators are part of the balance of nature. Humans aren't being threatened by sharks. We have the sentient thought that allows us to just get out of the water when sharks are around.
    b_leblanc, HalloweenRun and Bengal B like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Same could be said for Dolphins and Whales.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

People don't naturally fear dolphins and whales. I don't know if any nation still has a whaling industry but I don't believe that either species is endangered the way sharks are. Dolphins have even been known to protect humans from sharks.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was referring to Red's post, should have quoted him, but Japan has been slaughtering both for years. Ever see pictures of Taiji?

You should check out a doc called The Cove. That's a picture of the cove where they lure dolphins in and slaughter them.

Attached Files:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Japan and Norway still hunt whales.
  8. b_leblanc

b_leblanc Victory for LSU!

People fear sharks because of all the dumbass movies pumped out by hollywood.

Bigger chance of being struck by lightning than being bitten by a shark.

Only time I came close to being bitten by a shark was when my papa caught a hammerhead in his trawl.
  9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

I'm a licensed private pilot and I frequently fly over the beaches when we go to the coast for the weekends. You would be amazed at how many sharks we see close to the beaches. Not really a big deal to see anymore.