Don't know if this has been posted...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PGTiger, Feb 7, 2005.

1. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

But I heard that Saban was doing most of the play calling for the Offense this past year and that he was playing conservative so the offense wouldn't turn the ball over and put the defense in a tough position. Jimbo would only call plays when the offense needed to score. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it does make sense.

Did anyone else hear this?

2. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

I didn't have an Eatel headset this season, so I didn't hear the play calling process. However, this notion that Saban was calling plays for the offense sounds far fetched. He may have influenced the play calling to be more conservative, hoping it would give us a better chance to win. That sounds more believable, I mean does Saban even know much about offense at all?

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't know about the playcalling aspect, but I would suppose that Saban knows plenty about offense, as well as his specialty, defense. Football coaches know both...

4. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

He was a High School QB, I believe.

This is just what I heard, and it would make sense because this years offense wasn't a typical Jimbo offense, IMO.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would be willing to bet that Saban didn't call more than one or two plays the entire year, although he was probably in on the srcipting of the plays during pregame meetings and had a big influence on what calls were made. But for anyone to actually watch an LSU game and look at Saban on the sidelines when he had the ball and suggest he was calling the offensive plays is mind boggling to me.

Fisher called the plays with influence from the head man, just like Will called the defensive plays with influence from the head man.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

That's my thoughts also. If Saban were calling these plays like he is being accused of we would have had plenty of delay of game penalties along much confusion. I jsut don't see it. Saban would have had to change his philosophy from the year before. I think that philosophy won the BCS National Championship. :crystal:

7. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I think that Saban knows a lot about offense. How else could he be so good at defense. It goes hand in hand.

8. philter

philter Founding Member

It's my understanding, from posts by guys who know the LSU coaching staff, that Jimbo called all the plays...but, after Nick saw how inconsistent the QB play was, he instructed Jimbo to limit the plays to a convservative nature to avoid turnovers.

So Jimbo was calling the plays, but in effect Saban had limited the playbook.

9. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

It was always my understanding that Jimbo did the vast majority of play calling. However Jimbo had to do so based on what Saban wanted to do.

Saban was deciding and telling Jimbo, sit on it, stretch the field, kill clock, be conservative, be wide open, and then Jimbo had to call the appropriate plays