Doug Williams is a racist

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Feb 26, 2003.

1. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Re: Re: Ignore Doug Williams.

That doesn't mean she was discriminated against. If there's one thing we all are aware of, reality and court rulings aren't exactly in sync. You need only to look at O.J. Simpson's trial...

By the way, has he found which golfer killed his ex-wife yet?

2. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

Jean, whether you want to admit it or not doesn't change the fact. There are biases in hiring but I wouldn't characterize it as a character flaw as you have. For example, some might say the hiring of Skip Bertman as AD was a bias hiring...what AD experience did he have? There were probably some black AD candidates with experience that were not considered. I believe that the hiring of Mike Archer over Steve Spurrier was biased and not totally based on qualifications, it was a Bill Arnsparger bias...hindsight is sure 20/20 on that one isn't it?

And in the real world this idealistic notion that everyone at LSU is doing the absolute best in the interest of LSU alone is ridiculous. Personal biases come into play in almost every decision a person makes. These are not flaws that need to be defended, they are a fact of life and to suggest that these people should leave the LSU Community is a bias in itself....isn't it?

I take it from your post that you're a current student and I guess it's okay to be an idealist in that environment. But you are about to face a hard reality soon.

TigerFan is also correct in his assessment of Doug Williams. Most of you here should remember several years ago in the Bayou Classic when Southern had a white starting QB. Coach Williams made a comment to the effect that NO white QB should be playing for a black college.

And Jean, I'm sure you were exaggerating with the gay eskimo comment to make a point. No school is so myopic that they will always hire the best coaching candidate regarless of race, sex, religion, whatever. I think I've already illustrated a couple of examples of that flawed logic. My question to you is, How do you know that statement to be fact? Are you on the board of trustees? Do you have something to back up the statement that will give you some credibility? Like I said, if that was actually a true statement, then Steve Spurrier would have been our coach and Skip Bertman would not be our AD.

This is not to attack you personally Jean because I know you're a good LSU fan...BUT it bothers me when I see posts that say certain people should be driven out of the LSU community for having a different opinion. TigerFan was not insulting LSU students, he was posting a PERCEPTION of how he views the situation....right or wrong.

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Ignore Doug Williams.

Jean, I can agree with every word written. This is a very hot subject. I do attempt to conduct myself with out bias and prejudices. But even today in the 21st century I find myself saying the wrong thing at times. Everyone has these things to different degrees I believe.

LSU is like my child. I would like to think she could do no wrong. But we all know our children can. But we love them unconditionally.

PS. I really cann't agree with every word of it. But LSU is a great place to get an education and certainly to watch football.

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

If it is the same white QB that I remember and there have not been many, he also got a lot of flack at the school, but when asked by a reporter he said everything was basically ok. He could have played the race card and brought up the bias brought against him at the school but chose not to. Doug Williams brings it regardless of whether it exists or not.

5. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

You guys aren't talking about Marcus Jacoby are you? He was QB from 96-98, right after Eric Randall if I remember correctly.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It should be remembered that Jacoby quit the team in the middle of his last season because of his ill treatment by the fans and his fellow players at Southern. The Southern head coach was openly criticised by his boosters for starting a white quarterback. This was a time when LSU proudly started a black QB in Herb Tyler. There was a big article in the New York TImes about it, it was national news.

Double standard.

7. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

8. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

9. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

Marcus Jacoby was quite a young man. I pray scars aren't too deep.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Remove them from the LSU community.

Any LSU employee who would base a hiring decision for an LSU position on a personal bias based upon race, color or creed, rather than who is the best qualified person for the LSU job, needs to be identified, publicly disgraced, and removed from the LSU community.

Let me re-phrase it: If you allow your personal bias against people of a different race, color or creed get in the way of doing what is in the best interest of LSU, you need to be publicly disgraced and removed from the LSU community.

Let me say it another way: If you dislike people of a different race, color or creed more than you love LSU, get the frick out of the LSU community. We don't want you. We don't need you.

Whether you are Board of Trustees, or whomever: the rule applies. I'm talking about LSU management who make hiring decisions here, not your average fan. I demand that the people employed by LSU to make management decisions shall make decisions based upon what's best for LSU, not on personal bias against a different race, color or creed.

Now that I've made myself clear . . . allow me to ask you gentlemen: we can all agree with this position, can't we?