Drew Brees Backup

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 3, 2010.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

During the off season whether free agency or Draft the Saints need to find a backup quarterback.Would be nice if they could find a young quarterback in the draft and allow him to develop but also get some mop up play time when available. Saints can not rely on Brees not getting hurt anything can happen in the NFL and something little as a quarterback hitting their hand on a defensive player's helmet or etc could happen.
    Draft/FA(Cheap) Rookie Options could be: Dan LeFevour,Ryan Perrilloux, Max Hall,Joe Webb, Jarret Brown, Levi Brown and one of my favorites would be Armanti Edwards

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I'd like to see more of Chase Daniels. I think Tony Pike might be a good fit under Payton, too. Sean Canfield (Oregon State) looked pretty good the one game I saw, but the guy I secretly covet is Dan LeFevour.

I think the Saints will have the luxury of grabbing a QB on the first day next draft if one falls...

3. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

I was thinking Tony Pike would probably get picked higher than what the Saints would take a QB.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Loomis has shown that he will draft a guy if he feels they're the best oplayer available over a position of need, unless of course a player who is a position of need is rated just as highly.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Payton would go after someone who is super smart and has a very high football IQ.

I think Daniels could be that guy, but to overcome his small size is not commonplace (which makes Brees all that more amazing at what high level he plays).

6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I'm kind of old shcool and like having a very experienced verteran guy who is a teaching/coach on the field type. Yesterdays's performance notwithstanding, I like what we have at backup QB.

And Chase Daniel does not have an "s" at the end of his last name. It's just Daniel not Daniels.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Make a deal for Matt Flynn.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Brunell's performance was very disappointing, and a little shocking. I wasn't expecting Brees-like accuracy, but I certainly thought he'd throw the ball better than that. The whole point of having a #2 QB with experience is that he won't stink up the joint if you have to go to him.

Since Brees probably has at least 5 more years of performing at his current level, I wouldn't look for a move on a QB in the draft any time soon, unless they decide Daniel is useless. I don't think that's going to happen though; just a gut feeling, but he's an intriguing prospect, IMO. But at #2, if they decide to cut Brunell loose, I would expect them to replace him with another 30-something former starter (Jeff Garcia, perhaps?).

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Ryan Perrilloux? I mean he might be an option but you didn't have to list him :hihi:
    Most of those guys seem like mobile spread type offense QB's. I dunno if our offense would be best for them. I think Chase Daniel seems to be like a younger Drew Brees. He was definitely a gunslinger in college and although mobile, he is still a pocket passer.

10. tigerbait86

tigerbait86 Veteran Member

is joey harrington sill on the saints roster??