DWI Checkpoint (Baton Rouge)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex_B, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

You got robbed by some thieves. They may have been dressed as cops and may have even been cops but they robbed you.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I did some research and Mississippi does have a law that says . . . "No person (or business) may bring any liquor or wine product into Mississippi. Only beer wholesalers holding permits issued by the Mississippi Department of Revenue may bring beer and/or light wine into the state. Any person or individual who violates this law will have the liquor, wine or beer confiscated and may be subject to monetary penalties and possible jail time."

But I don't see how they could legally roadblock and search you for liquor. Probably because you had an ice chest in plain sight in your truck bed. I've carried liquor into Mississippi many times canoeing and camping.

Lesson: Carry it in your trunk. Deny them permission to search.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

They still stole his ice chest right? Certainly the law doesn't state that they can take the vessel it is transported in. If so, they could have taken his whole car. That would have been a trip.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

They said that they were letting me off with the bootlegging and keeping the icechest as evidence incase I decided to fight the ticket. Miss state police was there along with the Franklin county cops and dogs. It was at the intersection of hwy 33 and liberty road. They have road blocks there often. If you buy beer in Mississippi and you are driving through the county it can't be outside the box it is packaged in and can't be iced down. My beer was loose and iced down but all 12 were there. It was a nice igloo ice chest too. It went in the back of the state cop car. I didn't see where the ciggs went. You can have a pack that's open but that's it.