Early Doucet will be the real deal!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScoobaTiger, Jul 7, 2004.

1. ScoobaTiger

ScoobaTiger Founding Member

In Lafayette, I ran into a personal trainer that I know the other day. We were talking Tigers football, and he mentioned that he had trained Early Doucet from March to the end of May. He said the guy is one incredible athelete and a great guy. His work ethic is tremendous. I asked about his hammys and he said when they began training, Early's hammys were only at 55% and 65% strength. In June, Early' s hammstrings were retested by the LSU training staff and it was reported that both were at 100%. Also, Early tacked on an extra five pounds of muscle. The trainer said he was 6'1", 215 lbs. and running 4.5/40's consistantly when he left for LSU in June. Folks, I think we will be watching a superstar at LSU for the next couple of years.
    :geaux: :champs: :geaux:

2. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Way to Go, Scooba

Just when I was starting to accept the fact that football season is still nearly two months away, you go and post that. Now my heart is racing again, and I alternate between staring at the clock and the calendar!!!

That kid's gonna be special, no doubt. 6-1, 215 lbs. YIKES!!!!!

Is is time for football yet!?!

3. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Dumb question, because I don't understand how it works. If this is Early's first season with LSU, will he play? Because I know that Flynn and Russel didn't because they were redshirted. Does that, for some reason, only apply to quarterbacks? I've never understood the red shirt deal.

4. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

A coach will redshirt a player if he feels that the player needs some time to develop or learn the system or if there is a log jam of talent at the position. A coach might play a player as a freshman if he feels the player is talented enough and/or there is a need for a player at a position.

A coach might also feel that a player is so talented that he may opt to leave school early for the NFL and he wants to use him while he can. The redshirt gives the player an extra year of eligibility.

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Right, all players have "5 years to play 4." A player of any class can redshirt and sit out a year- frosh, soph, jr, or sr. Also, players may receive a medical redshirt if they suffer a season ending injury early in the year. With regular redshirts, you cant play at all, medical redshirts have some other rules. Occasionally, a player will be granted a 6th year of eligibility if they have suffered multiple hardships. I doubt that Early or XC will redshirt unless Bowe, Davis, and Hill all look like superstars in the fall.

Redshirted players still sit on the sideline, though. If for some reason a player is needed they can come off the bench and play, but they lose their redshirt, burning a year of eligibility. Travis Daniels did this as a freshman in the 2001 SEC championship game after sitting out the entire season. He ended up deflecting what could have been a game winning TD pass, so I think it was worth it. I cant really speak for how he feels about it, though.

6. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

In every interview I've ever seen with Travis, he says he thinks it was worth it. He was glad to be able to contribute when needed.

Is that how he really feels? Well, it's all we have to go by, but I have absolutely no reason to doubt the young man.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

No we dont. Plus, I have seen some of his other comments that would lead me to believe he truly did feel it was worth it.

8. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

seeing Early up close on the field for the spring game, i have to say i was shocked at his size. he looked closer to 230 than 215. he looked like a damn mike linebacker. his neck and traps made him look like he was wearing shoulder pads under his t-shirt. if he really does run a high 4.4 or a low 4.5 the guy just might be impossible to bring down. if he was 215 then, he was the thickest 215 i've ever seen. i'm so anxious to see him w/ the ball. WR speed & FB power is a lethal combo.