EDUCATED QB TALK

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dlongintexas, Sep 22, 2004.

1. dlongintexas

dlongintexas Freshman

:tigerhead let me start by saying i am not a coach, but often times i think i have cheated football by working in the golf business!! i admit to buying into the jamarcus hype since he was being recruited, and as of today, i'm still sold!! i have seen glimpses from marcus randall over the last few years that were similiar to tiger favorite herb tyler. the key word is glimpses. everyone says he is a great guy and i believe them, however, i personally am a fan of "big offense" and we will never produce that with marcus randall as qb. the coaching staff is obviously reluctant to throw with him, and how many qb draws can you run in one game. i am not saying that we can't win with him, i'm just saying we will win scoring under 20 points a game with him against descent talent. that being said, do you remember the days of pitch and catch that so resembled our friends in the swamp. ro and the boys made it look easy, and boy is hanging a bunch of points on the board fun, not to mention that back then we didn't have the d we have now. do you guys not feel that rohan style presence and ability when watching jamarcus. same swagger, better arm, and less weight. this kid is gonna be unbelievable, under the right pitch and catch system. i say let him learn, let him make his mistakes, but let him play every play. i am sure that he gives us the best chance of moving down the field every time, and why should any one series be more important than another. we need to score every time we touch it, or it least that should be the goal. i am with st. nick on whatever he does, but please nick, let's play big offense with big defense and see how big of trophy case we need to buy. :tigerhead

2. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I think one of the very FEW things holding Jamarcus back from the job is that he is not nearly as mobile as Randall. Randall can run, seriously. And I am used to seeing a mobile QB in LSU's pocket cuz Mauck could move too. Watching the Auburn game, I noticed a couple times that when Jamarcus was scrambling, he looked....dare i say....slow :shock:. Granted I don't know if he was goin all out nor have I seen or heard what his 40 time is so I could be very wrong here.

3. dlongintexas

dlongintexas Freshman

:tigerhead i think i've heard that jamarcus is in the 4.7 range, which should be good. i agree, he hasn't looked extremely "fleet of foot" so far, but maybe as he gets more comfortable. i love mobile quarterbacks that can throw, i.e. michael vick as my favorite ever. one reason i think perrileaux should come to LSU, and why i think chris leak is the best in the country. :tigerhead

4. shreveporttiger

shreveporttiger Member Since: Nov 10, 2003

i personally feel that randall is being rewarded for staying all these years..

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Wouldn't this topic give SmokeUbiatch grounds for discrimination claims? :hihi:

I say we let him join in regardless.

6. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

As a Georgia fan, I watched the game being somewhat partial to LSU as the Auburn / Georgia rivalry goes back to the 1890's.

My impression was that the Saban realizes that neither QB is picking up the defensive sets quick enough to be able to call audibles with a reasonable degree of success.

That limits LSU to going with plays that fit the circumstance instead of going with plays that specifically attack the defensive formations that appear.

From my point of view, once Saban see's some leadership in this area, he will decide who his main QB will be.

Just my observations....

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

To some extent I agree with that.

I personally think that Russell is playing just as well as Randall even though Russell has seen less playing time. Given his abilities with such little PT, I have to think by mid season he will have passed the level that Randall is playing at. I don't think it will take Russell to very long to start flowing with the system and be named starter. Of course this is all speculation, but I think by mid season we will have our starter.

8. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I agree. I;ll also say that when JR starts connecting and the offense get in sync or a rythem going and the O line gets a little swagger going because they block and march down the field the whole mind set is changing blocking gets better they finish blocks JR won't have to be a MV because they will have to drop more people in coverage making it easier to pick up the blitz and the o line won't have to work as hard because they are pass blocking. Everything changes. Go with JR stay with JR.

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

That is one long @$$ sentence. :shock:

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

If Russell had hit the wide open receivers accross the middle, instead of throwing them at the receivers feet, the entire offensive game would have changed for LSU. Auburn would have had to change their defense which would have made our running game more productive. As long as Randall and Russell keep misfiring on open pass plays we will struggle. Randall missed Bowe, I believe, on a sprint out to the right with no one within five yards of the receiver. The pass missed by at least five yards.
    In additon, as the above poster mentioned, they are not makeing their reads quick enough. The receiver gets open but the pass is not thrown on time for a completion. Neither quarterback has shown that he can anticipate when the receiver will break open.