End of an era. Yankees eliminated. Torre's future in doubt.

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by fanatic, Oct 8, 2007.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Former LSU pitcher Paul Byrd and the Cleveland Indians eliminated the Yankees and possibly ended the career of Yankee manager Joe Torre. With all apologies to Sabanfan, I am glad to see this happen. I hate the freakin Yankees.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Lots of questions around that team.
    I'm sure Clemens is going to call it quits.
    Will Abreu be back?
    A-Rod?
    Not sure who else is a free agent there.

As a Red Sox fan, I'm kinda torn about this. While watching the Yankees get eliminated is always fun, I was hoping to get a shot at them in the playoffs. It's a little sweeter when we knock them off in October (yeah I know it's only happened once).

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I hate the Yankees...

But Joe Torre ius one of the classiest people, not just managers, Ive ever heard in public sports speaking. The man gave one of the more impressive press conferences Ive ever seen. The Yankees may fire him but he has one of the best resumes ever and it is under appreciated for how well he deals with the New York media.

All the players love him and lets face it, managers are more of babysitters in the MLB and I doubt they will find a better one with NY experience. Maybe the Boss should fire himself.

4. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

This series was a total mismatch on paper. For the Indians.

Cleveland: best record in AL, 3rd in ERA
    NYY: wild card, 7th in ERA, questionable starting pitching

I always enjoy Yankee fans bitching when their precious Bombers have the gall to not win the World Series every single year.

5. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

With NY outta the mix, TV has to hope Boston can finish. I guess a Cleveland and Colorado matchup would be their worst nightmare. Whatever, glad to see the possibility of new blood in the series. Go Rockies.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Torre ought to resign. He's better than this junk from Steinbrenner and can go out with a boatload of dignity and cash.

Much like I wish the Stros had done in their GM search, the Yanks are in position to get a STL cast-off -- LaRussa.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I admire and respect Joe.

He won't ask me for advice, but if he were to, I'd tell him to take the high road, resign, and if he wants to stay in baseball in some other capacity, go for it.

12 years in the 3 ring circus is enough.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

The NYY organization has spent over one Billion dollars during the last seven years in order to win a World Championship. They have failed miserably, absolutely and inexcusably in their mission

. . . AND I'M ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF IT . . . !!

:hihi:

ps no disrespect intended towards my dear friends on this board who are yankee fans . . . my preference is to pull for the MLB underdogs.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I read that too and couldn't believe it. That kind of money is just mind boggling; especially with nothing to show for it.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Seriously,

How great has Joe Torre been? The Yankees almost always get the best free agents and almost always make trades at mid-season to get what the team ends up missing. The roster pretty much guarantees the Yankees make the postseason, especially with the added divisional playoffs - there are 2 extra teams that make the postseason each year compared with pre DS baseball.

They've won one World Series since 2000.

Edit: So the Yankees had a great 5 year stretch from 1996-2000. Maybe Joe Torre was pretty darn good those five years. The previous entry may be incredibly stupid but I typed it already...