Enjoying the fruits of our labor...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Feb 26, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

More notes in hoops land. Besides Brady's first win in Nashville and beating Kentucky for only the second time in 16 tries, Brady's Tigers team will make it another week as a ranked team, winning 2-0, against two NCAA "bubble" teams.

Momentum is great thing, and even though our Tigers are struggling at times, winning close games can be a confidence booster.

I'll also note that #18 Kansas loses (albeit to #7 Texas) and #22 Iowa loses (albeit to #8 Illinois). I'm not sure we move up any, but we deserve to.

And, as we're playing for seeding now, our RPI had us, but a nationally televised win against UK probably puts us, in a 4 seed range. We keep on winning and we stay out of the dreaded 5 seed spot... Moving up to a 3 spot is not out of the question.

:geauxtige

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont put any value in the superstitious mumbo-jumbo about 5 seeds being bad. 4 and 5 are the same because they end up playing each other in the second round anyway. up to 3 seed is a big jump (CBS Sportsline has us there)

i do think, however, that all 5 seeds and up are protected from playing a "road" game against a lower seeded team.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i forgot, the other big advantage to jumping up to a 3 seed is avoiding the 1 seed til the elite 8.

4. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I am wondering what you are talking about on a "road game"... makes no sense.. History and statistics show 5 getting beat by 12 many times in the tourney. That is why it is a dreaded position.

5. col reb

col reb Founding Member

You guys need to get rid of Brady NOW!!!!! A few more wins and it will just be that much harder to convince Skip to do something. Barnes may be available soon.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

non protected seeds (which i think are lower than 5) can get in a situation where they are the higher seed but end up playing a "road" game. like if lsu got a 6 seed and played a 11 seed Cal in Oakland.

i know 5 seeds do relatively poorly compared to other seeds, but i think its stupid to think that means anything. statistical anomaly if anything.

lsu may get a 2 seed if they win out, and a 3 is very possible if they make it to the sec tourney final. especially if they beat UF or UT on the way.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Maybe Golfer(i refuse to call him LSU anything anymore) can use some of his gambling wins to buy out CJB's contract. ;)

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

ESPN.com's DailyRPI has LSU at 10...and that's before yesterday's win is factored in.

Nice. A #4 seed with at least a 2-1 or 3-1 finish is very, very possible, IMO.

A Bama win over Florida helps, too. Tennessee's RPI is so ridiculously high, I don't know if LSU can end up as the SEC high seed, but finishing as the #2 SEC seed is almost certain, esp. w/ a Fla loss today.

Too bad the Gators couldn't figure out a way to be an SEC team without, you know, playing SEC games this season as all 5 losses (and counting) are in conference play.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the jump from 5 to 4 seed is nominal. im hoping for a 3 to keep away from the 1 seeds.

10. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Everybody plays road games in the tournament. The only seeds that might get some favoritism is a 1 seed that might play closer to home. Like last year, Illinois played in Indy and Chicago. They get an advantage. This year, GA Tech for instance couldn't play in Atlanta and Utah can't play in SLC. With that, Cal can't play in Oakland.

There are statistics that show upsets in the 5 vs 12 game. Happens every year as I can profess to as it always screws up my brackets.

Not trying to create something with you, but cannot understand your logic on "non protected" and "road games"