Etling 3 of 25 on 20+ yards, LSU's dink-and-dunk plays right into Saban's hands?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by beatbama, Oct 3, 2016.

1. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

Etling on 20+ yard passes
    2-17 (12%) vs JSU, Miss St, Auburn
    1-8 (12%) vs Missouri

Now 3-25 for the season

ESPN:
    "While the rest of college football struggles to find an answer for Nick Saban's defense, Ole Miss has it figured out.... Since 2014, Ole Miss ranks seventh among Power 5 schools in completions of 20 or more yards
    [Ole Miss OC Werner] said that dinking and dunking the ball against Alabama is playing right into their hands. Taking shots downfield is a must. If there's a receiver in single coverage deep, Werner said, "Throw it."
    [Ole Miss QB Kelly said]: "They [Bama] play a lot of man coverage and I feel confident in our wide receivers that they can beat man coverage," he said. "That's why they're here. That's their job."
    http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lace-chad-kelly-show-no-fear-only-way-alabama

Earlier, Ole Miss OC Werner said about Bama: "These guys do not like to let you run the football against them, and not many people have done it. ... “We talk about shots,” Werner said. “Taking a shot is not throwing it between two linebackers. It’s, I got a guy singled up, running deep. I’m going to take my shot and trust my receiver is going to make a play for it."

And the aTm QB who beat Bama while at Oklahoma, Trevor Knight, said. "If they’re gonna load the box up, you need to be able to throw the ball downfield. That’s when you allow your receivers to get open and make plays down the field"

Meanwhile, LSU put on a dink-and-dunk-fest against Missouri that only resulted in a meager 200 yards passing. Here is a video of every passing play vs. Mizzou here on youtube:

coming into the Mizzou game, this was Etling's passing chart (vs JSU, Miss St, Auburn)

[​IMG]

and as PFF pointed out: "Against Missouri, Danny Etling completed just 1-of-8 throws of 20+ yards" (the one being where D.J. Chark won the battle of the tipped pass)

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's the first time in quite a while that LSU is even capable of dinking and dunking. It probably won't beat Bama, but it's a major improvement for an offense that's been totally without a passing game.

3. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

Dinking and Dunking for 200 yards passing is same thing we did vs Miss State.

4. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

At least vs Miss State we threw deep early for a TD. We didn't even try to do that vs Mizzou until the 2nd Qtr

5. TwistedTiger

So you're saying you saw the same offense vs Missouri that you saw vs Mississippi state?

MikeInLa and GregLSU like this.
  6. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

Pretty much except our RBs did better than Fournette. Defense let us down once and MSU got a crazy onside kick. Otherwise was total blow out. Did you not watch?

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Think you need thicker glasses homeboy. Oh and find a gump board to call home, I hear there's a few out there.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  8. TwistedTiger

I did, the question is did you? From your response I'd say no, or you were too drunk to understand what you were seeing. Shouldn't you be helping your dad update his resume Smacker?

GregLSU likes this.
  9. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

I actually stayed somewhat sober vs MSU. Pretty much wasted most of the time tho. But i go review the game when sober

10. beatbama

beatbama Freshman

My glasses are thicker than anybody ever. That's why i need contacts. And you might need to hand in your LSU card if you are impressed with the nothing we have shown versus the nobodies we have played. Florida is next and they don't have any coaches we would want.