Expectations & Predictions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Apr 18, 2005.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Have anybody's expectations or predictions for next year changed since seeing the Spring Scrimmage?

Wide Receivers looked great. QB's looked good. Running game looked good.
    Offensive line is strong. Offensively, there shouldn't be any problem and we should average atleast 30 pts a game.

That means the defense will just have to keep other teams from scoring 30 points.

It's tough to tell right now on Defense though. CB's looks to still be a strong point. The defense was limited in what schemes they ran during the scrimmage so we don't know about that part yet.

Overall, the team is slightly better than I was expecting with the coaching change and all. Summer will separate the strong who are willing to put forth the effort and the weak. As long as Miles keeps this team focused, I see LSU winning 10 games next year, the SEC-West and atleast putting a good game forth in the SECCG but it's tough to tell how the East will shape up next year.

Who's already decreed Miles the next Bear Bryant? Who's already decreed Miles the next Zook?

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I'm honestly not sure yet. We still don't know who's gonna be starter at quarterback. That's what it's all gonna hinge on. We need somebody to step up at that position and, not necessarily set the world on fire, but to be a leader, distribute the ball well, and most importantly, not make any fatal mistakes that will cost us the ballgame. Many here say Russell separated himself from Flynn at the Spring game. I don't know, I wasn't there. But Coach Miles says it's still a toss-up, so we'll see about it come August.

That said, I just don't see us being a factor in the national title race this year. Too much youth at too many key positions. Replacing too many parts on defense (including Def. Coordinator) to expect that unit to be dominant.

9-2 is very reachable though.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I'm gonna take a big step and say the offense will take care of itself. The RBs are always there, the qbs are learning their positions, the wrs have finally learned how to run routes, and the line is veteran. The defense is what worries me. Its not the talent, its the unknown about the scheme that this defense will run. Saban ran a heavy blitz package with mostly man-2-man coverage. I have no idea what Pelini runs.

4. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

well we can just be like USC NC of 2003 and the Auburn NC of 2004 and just go ahead and claim it now... :hihi:

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

My expectations are 9-2 at worst....10-1 at best....I expect us to have one game in which we somehow lose but no more then two.

Even with Saban, I would have said the same thing.

I pray for Miles soul on this site if we lose 2 or even more.

6. locoguano

IF the qb situation straightens out, then i dont see us losing once this year... Look at the schedule.. who is gonna beat us.. there isnt one team that should outgun us.. the only way we lose is if our qb blows it. And the way i see it, if JR and MF cant handle it and RP isnt redshirted, you bring in RP and let him pull a Matt Mauck a la 2000 SECCG and QB draw us to a win.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm pretty confident of our offense in 2005. I'm mildly concerned about how long it takes for a new defense to gel but I think the D will be a good squad. But what most needs improvement from last year is kicking, punting, and the return game.

I was out of town and didn't see the scrimmage. Did you see anything promising for a better special team this year?

8. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I'll say this...with the talent on campus and the very favorable schedule the Tigers IMO should reach the SEC title game. There the Tigers could face a rematch from either Tennessee or Florida with Georgia being the only other Eastern school who IMO has a shot at the East title. A win in the SEC title game should give the Tigers a shot for the National Championship.

9. locoguano

So thought auburn

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I am sure that's exactly why he said "should" and not "would", smarty....