first timer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shasta, Aug 14, 2006.

1. shasta

shasta Freshman

hey, nice board, short time reader first time poster, I may be making my first trip to Tiger stadium Sept 2 for the game, I'm a fan of both schools but a Ragin Cajun ALum, as ive only been to games at cajun field and whatever they call the stadium in monroe, just wondering if you guys have any advice for a first time attendee at an LSU game, ive always wanted to go but this is the first time i have an actual chance of making a game there, thanks

2. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Postpone your trip for a week. You'll see a better game.:hihi:

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Get there early, soak up the atmosphere and, if you are a USL fan, don't be an A-hole acting like you actually have a chance to win the game. Accept it for what it is: A chance for a few bucks into the Cajuns' bank account and an opportunity to see what real college football is like.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Welcome to the board shasta. Enjoy the game. if you follow both teams, you can't lose.

GAME DAY INFO:
    If you come four hours early you will find plenty of free parking. The north side LSU lots are small and fill up quickly. Avoid parking in the high-crime neighborhood to the north of campus, the better parking is on the south side anyway. If you run late, the big free grass lots off the river road aren't that far from the stadium.

Try these links for maps and info:

Getting to the Game: Traffic, Parking, and Tailgating

LSU Game Day Experience

Tiger Stadium Quotes

Tiger Stadium

Interactive Stadium Map: See Your view of the Field

We eat good in Baton Rouge. There is some damn good food in this town, especially seafood. Mike Andersons, Phil's Oyster Bar, Drusilla Seafood, and Ralph & Kacoos are the most popular. All will be crowded on game weekends but you can get in with a reasonable wait, they are used to it.

TJ Ribs is especially good at moving a crowd through on game day and serves fine BBQ. Good off-campus Bar & Grills abound. The Chimes, Walk-on's, The Pastime, Georges, Ivars, Sammy's and Brewbachers are all great LSU bars with good food. Juban's is kind of upscale but has the finest Creole cuisine in town. Boutin's for Cajun cuisine and music.

And don't forget 24-hour breakfast at Louie's Cafe, a classic just-off-campus diner with the best omelettes and burgers in town.

Game-Day traditions: Go see Mike the Tiger's new habitat, our live Bengal Tiger Mascot. There is usually a Jambalaya stand nearby, try it! The LSU Tiger Band marches down the hill to Tiger Stadium well before the game and it is something to see and hear. It will be crowded, but the crowd response is part of the show.

Tailgaiting is legendary around the stadium before the game. Nobody, I mean nobody, cooks more or better food than LSU tailgaters. Friendly fans are always welcome to join in.

You will hear the "Tiger Bait" taunt about 700 times on game day. Don't worry, it's a friendly taunt meant to annoy you, we don't actually feed people to the tiger. The proper response is to smile, retort with your own taunt, and say, "What's that I smell cooking over there?".

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Great reply Red.

I copied it and sent it to my husband. I don't think he has ever been to a game in TS, now that I think about it. But he will soon. We got our tickets for the LSU/Tulane game today. I can't wait!!! I haven't been to a game in TS since I left BR.

6. shasta

shasta Freshman

hey thanks red great info, ill pass that on to my other people going and see what of all that we can get into

SabanFan, im not worried about my crew acting the A-hole, but i cant speak for anyone else, i want to enjoy the game, and the people im goin with are also fans of both schools, so we may stand and cheer when the cajuns make a play more than we do for LSU, but the rest of the year we will be cheering for the tigers over whoever they play

and goldengirlfan, IMO the only way this game could be a better game for me were if it meant something to both schools, because this is the only 2 college schools i have ever pulled for and them playing against each other is a win for me either way, i get to see both my fav schools play at the same time

and as far as the tiger bait thing goes, dont worry the cajuns board I post at has already had enough tiger fans coming on and talking smack already so i know there will be plenty of that come game day, ill just be hopin we can keep it respectable on the scoreboard and not get any injuries that last into conference play

7. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Enjoy yosef. You can't lose.:grin:

8. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I have pulled for other teams before i.e.

pulled for Notre Dame vs. USC

pulled for Texas vs. USC

etc. etc. etc

9. shasta

shasta Freshman

I think i may have been to this place before, my cousin is a grad of LSU Law school and i went to court in BR with him one day for fun, and we stopped at this little cafe near campus that he used to go to, and maybe the same place, the cook guy kept walking up and down the kitchen area talking to himself mostly ranting some lunatic sounding stuff, my cousin said that guy has been there forever, could this be the place you are talking about?

10. shasta

shasta Freshman

ah youve caught me in a lie then, because i too always pull for whoever happens to be playin USC that week, im so glad the saints got Brees instead of drafting that loser leinart, cause i would have years of torment having to watch him in a saints uniform