Flooding is crazy bad

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Aug 12, 2016.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

They really used to work a lot in potato fields though.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

I lump swimming in with golf and tennis. It ain't like fball or bball where you pay $150/ season. I pay over $200/ mo for my kid to be on the swim team. That's gonna limit its prevalence in a poor culture.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I know a guy who goes to practice to watch his granddaughter swim. She is on The East Ascension HS swim team but the high school doesn't have a pool so they go to Crawfish Aquatics to swim. He told me how much her parents have to pay for everything. Crawfish charges for each practice session and to be in a race there is an additional fee. And there are the out of town swim meets. He has gone to the Woodlands, to Sulphur, LA and to Mississippi to see here swim. Of course the whole family has to pony up for each race entered, for hotels, meals, gas and whatever else. The girl is just an average swimmer so there is not even the hope of a scholarship down the road. They should just buy her a tennis racquet or some golf clubs and tell her to forget about swimming.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

In SoCal, it's on par with any other club sport. Both my kids took swim lessons at Nadadores in Mission Viejo. Once they have "graduated" by mastering 4 different strokes, you either leave the club or you join the swim team. One of the larger considerations is the required volunteer time. It's way more for swimming than any other sport. Every single family is REQUIRED to participate in a certain amount of meets and for the regional/national required meets, if you don't volunteer, they hit your card for $100.

Without intending to be stereotypical, what I've found to be consistent over almost a decade is that minority families are the ones who get "scholarships" or club fee waivers and they are the LAST to volunteer for anything. They have no problem sitting in the stands watching their kid but God forbid they actually have to "work" at an event to help offset their free fees.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The whole thing is a scam. I played football and was on the track team in high school. Nobody asked my dad to mow and landscape the field or chip in big bucks for a shoulder pad fund or anything like that. He came to all my games and paid for a ticket. The didn't even give the players freebies for their families but I don't think a football ticket for a high school game then was more than about $5. At least with the team sports there is some chance of getting a scholarship to at least a DII school if not better. My friend I mentioned in the earlier post is friends with the father of a kid whom swam for Catholic High. I think his name is Colin Bone. Colin was the local high schools Male Athlete of the year. He got a scholly to Auburn. Not a full ride but a partial where his folks still have to pay most of the costs associated with attending college. Leonard Fournette was Male Athlete of the year. I think LF7's financial future is quite a bit brighter than Colin's

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Didn't realize I had it so good with swimming cost so far. Pay about $200 a season and only about 2 seasons a year. One of those seasons is through a school team who has some practices and meets there but we pay a team rate I assume directly to the school.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yeah but your pal Colin bone was white I'm sure. shits a lot different now. ain't many male athletes of the year at a legit school of the caucasian persuasion.

And swimming isnt a sport in the south. it's just a sport where whites can sorta feel athletic.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Exactly what I told the parents of the little league baseball team I was coaching years ago. This was last year before school ball. They were wondering why "Lil Johnny" didn't play more. I said because he should be holding a trombone or a trumpet instead of a bat.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Never met him but his daddy is white. 100000 to 1 he doesn't end up being a Michael Phelps