Frank Wilson Interview

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Wilson is an amazing recruiter and I'm glad to have him on our side. He didn't really answer any questions in the interview. That's how Les Miles operates so I'm not suprised. We'll probably at least have to wait until the players report to practice to find out more. I would have liked to find out what he thinks is most important for a RB (not fumbling, homerun threat, all-purpose) and what kind of rotation we will see.
    !twocrystals!

3. bhelmLSU

Well he really can't answer those types of questions at this time. Wouldn't be good for him to divulge and hurt the competition he hopes to see in the Fall plus he is not allowed to watch any of the team activities at this time due to NCAA rules. Only thing you can really talk about is the Spring which we already know all about for the most part. I would have asked him a whole different sets of questions myself.

4. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I am not necessarily talking specifics here. I understand not naming a starter at this point so the others won't slack off. He can, however, answer the question about what he values most in a RB (i.e. ball security, versatility, whatever). If he is a ball security coach, then he has already stressed this in spring practice. I would like to know his general philosophy on the running game. Supposedly, Larry Porter was big on ball security and the reason Keiland didn't get carries was because of his (mythical) fumbling problem.

5. bhelmLSU

That is why I said he should have asked those types of questions. He asked about the changes since last year on more than one occasion which doesn't make sense since he wasn't here at that time.

Miles was the man on security and Keiland did have problems with it in practice but Porter and Williams also butted heads from what I have heard.

6. bhelmLSU

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Now that I agree with 100%! Folks on this very site used to say the reason he doesn't get the PT is because of that, and it just didn't happen...unless it happened in practice. Quite frankly, none of LSU's backs during this most recent era fumbled...almost NEVER.
    -
    But I still maintain Keiland...who I loved as a Tiger...was never the best back while he was here. IMHO, it was his lack of vision and blocking...but I'm certainly no coach or evaluator. He was the biggest home run threat most of the time he was here...and was LSU's best QB from time to time.:hihi:

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

A part of me still feels he wasn't given a fair shot at proving his worth, but he did show those weaknesses you mentioned and therefore you are probably right. Let's just hope that the 2nd string back this year doesn't suffer the same fate as K-Dub, a mythical weakness that serves as an excuse for the coaches forgetting about him.:usaflagwa

9. bhelmLSU

Read my post above, it wasn't just the fumbling issues at practice.

10. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Well, if that's true, then that is sad. If Porter wants to put his ego ahead of the team like that, then I'm glad he's gone. Frank Wilson is also a great recruiter and hopefully a better RB coach.