FRAUD ALERT for UGA tickets

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Some guy saw my message on an LSU board that I wanted LSU/UGA tickets. He called and told me had 50 yard line tickets for 125 dollars a ticket. He said he has the tickets because his father was a professor at UGA and passed away and now they have been passed down to him. He told me the tickets would come to me and at the same time I would have to send him money by Western Union. I was a little leery so I told him I would think about it and call him right back. Well that number is some out of service number. I just scrolled around on the UGA site and some law student fell into his trap. He told her the same story, she actually sent him the money and got no tickets. I hope she catches him but it will be difficult. He has used at least 4 out of service numbers. A professional scammer Be careful.

2. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS offer to pay with a Postal Money Order. If it's a scam, the Postmaster General's office will go after their a$$.

If they don't allow for payment with next day mail USPS M.O. -- IT'S A SHAM. A USPS M.O. is as good as CASH!

And, THAT'S how you sniff out a scam for ANYTHING offered which sounds too good to be true.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER deal with anyone who will only deal with Western Union or who will only take your checking account routing number. With a credit card (read - NOT Debit Card) you should be protected.

3. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Also, there were a couple guys last year who had counterfeit tickets and were scalping them at the stadium. There was a group of three or four, so once one made the sale, he split. They ripped off some guy who was in line ahead of us.

4. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

Yes actually a friend of mine got scalped like that at the Sugar Bowl. They had "official" tickets printed up and everything which looked identical except for it didn't have some silver part that could be scratched off (or something like that). It is worth it to them to go through that trouble for big pricy games.

5. desitiger

desitiger Founding Member

But out of all of this...if it sounds too good to be true. It probably is too good to be true.

6. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Excellent post.