From Len Pasquerelli RE:Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Dec 5, 2003.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Speaking of coaches staying put, don't bet on Nick Saban departing LSU yet, even if he is courted by several NFL franchises, as is anticipated. As noted in this space last week, two of the teams that figure to have Saban on their shorts lists, the New York Giants and Chicago Bears, are conservative organizations that might not see fit to offer the level of compensation the LSU coach desires. Sources close to Saban told ESPN.com this week that the coach has a new and upgraded contract offer from LSU officials on his desk already. The two sides have been discussing a new deal since around October. Saban has a tremendous team that still might worm its way into the national championship game this season. He is assembling another superb recruiting class. His offensive coordinator, Jimbo Fisher, last week turned down the chance to interview for the Mississippi State head coaching post that then went to Sylvester Croom. In short, things are pretty good down in Baton Rouge, and it's going to take a whopper of a deal financially (or an NCAA posse) for an NFL franchise to get Saban to leave.

2. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Thanks for posting, finally a good article for LSU fans concerning Saban's future.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm shocked!

:shock: :D :D :D

4. excellent, lets just hope this one gets out as much as the 'incorrect' ones do.

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1920164

Now since all of these experts have been wrong the last couple of years about him leaving should we be worried that they are now starting to say he is staying.:D :D

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I am shocked that LSU was AHEAD of the game on offering him a new contract!

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not sure of this but I have heard that Nick's present contract has a clause that says that if LSU would win a national championship that Saban had to be paid at least one dollar more than the next highest coach in college football.

8. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I heard this also, I think it is true.

9. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

I'd like to see more successful college coaches stay with their teams longer instead of jumping ship. You know, old school type stuff like Osborne in Neb., Paterno at Penn State (although maybe he should retire now), and maybe Saban at LSU. Look at Dennis Erickson. Great college coach. On his second stint in the NFL. Neither stint very good, at least up until now. Erickson was "lucky" to pick up a Pac-10 gig in Oregon after the Seahawk debacle. He turned that program around quick. The fans worshiped him. He is from the PNW. The man had it made, but he had to go back to the NFL and down to SF from Oregon. Big mistake. To me, the pinacle of one's career need not be the NFL, no matter what society may say about that. I hope Saban sticks around for a long time. He has basically built that program from the bottom up.

:geaux:

10. GrandaddyGator

GrandaddyGator Freshman

I hope for Tiger fan's (and the program's)sake Saban stays. He has done a great job in the best conf. in the nation. It is tough for a new coach to break into the SEC even with the talent at LSU. NFL ain't always better.........it pains me to say that SOS is not the coach in the NFL he was in the NCAA. Maybe in time but........In college FB he by God even won at DUKE!!!
    It would be great for the rest of the SEC if he jumped, however in the interest of LSU............................
    Do what you gotta do Tiger boosters keep Saban.

TIGERS spank pups 34 -17