Full 25 in 2011?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by tboy, Feb 4, 2010.

1. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Almost every year people worry about how many recruits we will be able to sign. Usually there is quite a bit of hand wringing, especially if we take greyshirts and oversign about whether we are using up precious spots for the following year. Normally we are able to sign a full class through attrition, etc. So what do the numbers look like next year and how many players have to vanish if we are to have a full class? What do the numbers look like compared to last year so we can get a feel for how we stand?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Waaay too early to tell. Who knows how many players will decide to move on either before or after the season is over. There is a whole year of changes that could effect where we stand with the 85 man limit.

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Getting the roster sorted out for August is more of a dilemma right now. When I counted a couple weeks ago we only had 17 or 18 spots available. We had to "lose" 7 or 8 off the current roster to bring in a full 25. We signed 27 but 2 count back to last years class which brings that 7 or 8 number up to 9 or 10 that need to be trimmed from the roster. Its going to be an interesting juggling act to stay under the 85 max.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I never see how we're gonna make the numbers but we always do. You just have to trust the coaches. Do we have more attrition than usual? IT seems like USC never signs a full class.

I just looked it up and it looks like USC has signed 18 19 19 and 20 in the last four years. So by my count, that's 76 schollies. I guess they must give the other nine to walkon's? What's the deal with that?

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

We could do it like Saban and just tell kids to get lost.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Redshirts?

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Pete didnt like to take full classes. He would save a few for transfers and walk-ons evey year.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Over the course of time, the redshirts should balance out though.

This makes sense. I guess if he could convince 4-5 guys a year to walkon, he could then give schollies to the best two or three with the idea that he got to lay his eyes on more guys this way. I assume Kitten will not continue this practice.

Does anyone actually believe that Texas only offered 30 scholarships this year?

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Good answer, thanks DRC.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Redshirts count against the 85 limit.