Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Geocaching

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

Have any of you ever heard of geocaching?

It's pretty wild.

http://www.geocaching.com/

I've found like 3 of them with my son. Haven't done it in a while but may soon now that I have a bit more time on my hands.

Have any of you tried it?
    plotalot likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Was pretty big a few years ago but I've never done it
  3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I had never heard of it at all until I read a young adult novel called North of Beautiful a few years ago.
  4. locoguano

locoguano Fear the Beard.

I will be trying it out soon. Seems like something fun to add to hiking trips.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

I have friends who are obsessed with it. They make a 2 hour trip into 5 by finding every freaking one of em off the highway. We drove with them to a soccer tournament (yes, I know, blasphemous) in Ventura and after the game we went to find the closest one to the field. It was behind a Vons, in the furthest corner of the lot, underneath a lamppost and buried behind a fake rock. What was in it? Not a damn thing.

Never did it again.
  6. locoguano

Found one this morning down the street from our house. It was under a park bench in a magnetic container. The only thing in it (the only thing there was room for) was a three year old roll of paper with different visitors' initials. I thought it was neat though.
  7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

The school district went all in and bought bunch of gps units (Lord knows how old) with some grant.

It was gonna be the next big thing, to set up a "course" at your school and then have the AG kids geo-cache all day. I don't think it was ever used.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've heard of it. Not interested unless they put money or some real goodies in the caches
  9. locoguano

There are different size caches... Most are "micro" with just a signature sheet. Some of the larger ones have "goodies" in them. You are expected to add something if you take something away.
  10. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

The uSGS has ego points that are
    Fun to find. Big cement blocks
    With brass plates on them used for surveying.