Good candidate for LSU DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Jan 25, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Saw this name on the Tiger Rag forum --- Kevin Steele, LB coach at Fla. St. Former HC at Baylor. LB coach in NFL for 3 yrs. Great resume. Why wouldn't he grab promotion from FSU position coach to LSU DC? I have no idea whether he is on Miles' radar screen or not. Does anyone out there have access to Coach Les or Sir Skip to put a bug in their respective ears about this guy?:eek:ldskule: :thumb:

2. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

please no!!!!!!!!!!!

he killed the Baylor program, and he was choked on the sideline by Kevin Greene while with the Panthers.

LSU can do better then this guy.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

How do you kill the Baylor Program ???

Wasnt it already dead ?

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Honestly, this would be a great hire. Unfortunately, from what I hear, he could be the successor to Bowden. Several programs have tried to pry him, but I don't think he is going anywhere...

5. tigerjeffrey

When was the Baylor program ever alive? Kevin Greene is a Kyle Turley/Grant Wistrom type Grade A a**hole, who cares if he choked Steele? I know nothing about Steele other than reading his impressive resume (impressive for a coordinator candidate ... we have other failed HC's on our radar for DC, such as RC Slocum and Dave Campo.) I may not know enough about Steele to give him a firm thumbs-up but your two reasons aren't very persuasive.

6. mesquite tiger

to answer your question, he made baylor worse then what it already was. go to a recap of Baylor's game against UNLV his first year to understand what I am telling you. 1 second left, you have the ball, you are winning and on the UNLV 1 yard line...take a knee, right?

NO

Steele decides his team needs to flex its muscle to gain confidence. tries to power it in, fumbles, UNLV recovers and scores a game winning TD.

POOR COACHING...Baylor did not win a conference game after that until Guy Morriss arrived.

so saying Baylor sucked before is correct..he made them suck worse.

I pass on this guy.

7. tigerjeffrey

Guy Morris of "Bluegrass Miracle" fame? Guy "Don't Give Me the Gatorade Bath Until the Final Horn Sounds" Morris? I still fail to see your logic. A risky offensive play-call as head coach makes Steele a bad potential defensive coordinator candidate?

We would be lucky to get a guy of this caliber.

As to another poster's statement that Steele is rumored to be Bobby Bowden's replacement ... hmm, not sure I buy that, with three other Bowden boys hanging around -- Tommy, Terry and Jeff. Also, what about the FSU DC, Mickey Andrews?

8. atxfan

atxfan Founding Member

I don't think it's really relevant to this conversation but Baylor was actually pretty good in the mid 80's with the killer B's in their secondary. They had Blackmon, and... well, a bunch of other guys who's names started with B:lol: Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there in case there were some too young to remember. I played flag football with a guy who played linebacker during that time and he claims that they had the #1 D in the country at one point. Definitely way before anything to do with this candidate though.

9. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Sorry, this won't happen. They absolutely love this guy down here in Bowden country. They'll promote him to assistant head coach before they let him leave or maybe even promise him to be the successor to Bobby Bowden.

10. mesquite tiger

all I am saying Jeffrey is this. Do not let the big name of Florida State or the NFL sway you to think this guy has something. Steele left the NFL to go to Baylor and left the program in disgrace and in a worse position then when he inherited it. Just because he is at Florida State and a "Bowden Guy" doesn't mean he is a great candidate for DC.

We all praise Muschamp for being or DC, but lets face it, Saban was our DC during his tenure. Same goes for Steele at Florida State...I would actually venture to say Florida State has gotten worse on D in the last few years, but that may not be all attributed to Steele.

We can do much better then this guy, trust me.