Got a Question?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScottyB28, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Thats the problem with me too LSU Grad, when i close the browser it screws it all up. I wish it didnt do that, it would make it so much better.

2. ScottyB28

Maybe Brett can tell us.

3. philter

philter Founding Member

Ok, I did some sniffing around and found out there was/is a known bug with vB versions 3.0.1 and up. The coders of vB are a little vague about whether the bug still exists, it seems they had a hard time tracking it down but indicate they fixed it as of 3.0.6 (version Brett is running).

They say if you are still experiencing the problem (which some obviously are), to logout and then log back in. But I recommend you do it in this order to be sure.

If you use both IE and Firefox or another browser you must clear the cookies for those browsers too (in firefox it has a built in cookie browser in options).

Log out
    Close all browsers
    Go to your cookies folder and delete all the Tigerforums cookies
    Open browser and log back in

According to vB authors this should fix it...however there are still posts on the vB site talking about the problem as of 2 days ago, so it could be fixed and people are not doing complete cookie removal (hence my recomendation above)...or it is still buggy. Some of the coders said 'that is the way it's supposed to work'...kind of a copout because earlier versions of vB worked correctly.

They go on to say that the next version jump (3.1.xx series) will have a redesigned cookie/mark read/unread system. That will be a ways off though so hopefully the fix above will work. I'll keep you posted on my experiences since I've done it.

4. ScottyB28

Damn Philter, your a genius! I will try that.

5. philter

philter Founding Member

Doesn't work for me...guess we'll have to wait for a fix.

I wish they'd use a database system, it is foolproof, and for small to medium sized sites like this it is not cause unreasonable overhead.