Gotta love our defense...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Vincent4Heisman, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I've noticed this year, granted it's only two games, that our defense hasn't made many mistakes. From what I've seen there haven't been any blown coverages, they are tackling good (running through the ball carrier, wrapping up) with less arm tackles than before and generally playing good ball all around.

Granted, the true test will come next weekend, but to me, it's a nice thing to see when our defense litterally smothers opponents.

The only "mistake" I saw tonight that glared at me was the little toss play that got Arizona inside our 5, and even that wasn't really attributed to any mistakes. There wasn't anything else that made me step back and go, "Uh oh, that's not good".

Point is this, I see a ton of similarites between this defense and our '03 defense. The main difference I see is that our corners are phsyically tough. They will lay the wood when ever they get the chance. These guys are cover corners who don't mind popping someone.

I like it.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree. But, we haven't seen them against top competitin yet, so some proving left to do this year, like against Auburn. Highsmith we knew was quality, Beckwith is all over the field, Sanders got lost against Az. Secondary looked good, boy they sure hit you if you make a catch, or if a running back gets through. D-line looks good. I don't see a weakness. For all the hotheads who wanted to run Pelini out of town on a rail after Tenn. last year, remember, you cant judge a coach on one game. Bo's body of work is actually quite impressive.

I like Bo. :)

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm becoming a BIG Pellini fan. I was talking back and forth with my dad down in Louisiana during the game. Dad was a high school football coach for 30 years, so he knows his football. He also watched the '58 NC team at LSU.

He said last night, "I haven't seen gang tackling like that since the Chinese Bandits."

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I love it, EXCITEMENT ON THE BAYOU!!! :geauxtige

5. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

The defense looks really good but we don't really know how good they are till Auburn. It is pretty sad when a Pac-10 team loses by the same amount as ULL, so they really haven't been tested.

The defense doesn't seem to be as complicated as Saban's but it is effective. There was a larger possibility to make mistakes in Saban's defense because of all the decisions they had to make after the offense team broke the huddle. However, it confused the heck out of the opponents.

I like Pelini's D though, I think they may show a little bit more as far as different looks and showing blitz to confuse a little more as we go into bigger games.

Next week will be fun to watch.....I hope.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

To borrow a line from the resident Gameday buffoon "Not so fast my friend." :lol:

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

And that's another reason I'm not ready to concede the TD streak.

8. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

:hihi: Nice one.
    I hope youre are right LVTGRFN. However the defense from the Peach is a lot different from what we have now. Lots of young talent on the DL. They are very good but fairly untested against a good team.

But with that said it is impressive that they haven't allowed a TD in the 1st 2 games, it shows their focus and drive is unaltered even against poor teams. They are focused and pumped up.

I just hope they can keep that up in the even Auburn scores a TD on them.

I hate this game being so early in the year.

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

A total waste of a scholly. I said it when they recruited this guy and was chided for my opinion. Sanders will contribute zip to LSU, when all is said and done. Better to let him "ride the pine" and go with the younger players.