Greatest baseball player of all time?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, May 8, 2015.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lee smith went to northwestern (demons) and is from here. wgn made a lot of people baseball fans. as did tbs. thats all we watched during summers when we werent playing ball.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not baseball but Aaron Rodgers crushed it on Celebrity Jeopardy. He even dropped an F Bomb when he got one wrong.

3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Best all around player, Willie Mays. When at the Hall of Fame, all the other HOFers crowd around Willie.

Best hitter, Barry Bonds. Nobody was ever pitched to like they pitched to Barry, seems like they purposely walked him half the time. Too bad the cheater spoiled his legacy.

Best pitcher, Nolan Ryan-- the best but cursed, was always on a poor team. Roger Clemons (cheater), Most impressive to me was Bob Gibson, totally dominating, he pitched 3 complete games in the 1967 World Series, struck out 17 in a 1968 World Series game.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They say that Ted Williams was the greatest hitter ever but that was before my time and I never saw him play.

In addition to winning over 300 games and striking out way over 5000 hitters, Nolan Ryan lost over 200 games. Many of those losses were by scores of 1-0 or 2-1 after Ryan had great perfomances but got no run support from his teammates.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If you simply look at metrics that compare players against their peers, then Babe Ruth is undoubtedly the best hitter of all time (best WAR metric of all time). Given that he was also one of the best pitchers of his time before he became just a hitter/position player (47 wins, 58 complete games, 15 shutouts, 1.88 ERA over a 2 year span), that makes him the best player of all time. End of story.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    GiantDuckFan and Winston1 like this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Babe would have been a great player in this era too but how great? He would have had to take better care of his body to compete with today's players.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

did i miss something?????where you been gdf???

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

One of the reasons it's so hard to compare. You can't just transport yesterday's player to the present. They had such different upbringing, nutrition, training& lifestyle that wouldn't compare. No one could get away with what Babe or the Mick did today.
    One other rarely discussed factors is what impact amphetamines had when they were used. That was the first real PEDs and were in pretty general use for years. Who benefited from them is never discussed but I would bet there are several in the Hall of Fame who used them.

9. tirk

josh hamilton could only do it a couple years but he tried.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. tirk

well thats the low hanging fruit. we like to talk about people we saw play. and by we, i mean me.