Greg "CookieMan" Cook passed away?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjeffrey, Mar 19, 2005.

1. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

I read this on Tiger Rant. Did an internet search and could not find anything confirming this. Is it true? If so what is the source of the news? Can you post a link? If true that really sucks, Cook was a big part of a great LSU basketball team back when I attended The Ole War Skule.

2. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Channel 9 News reported that Greg "Cookieman" Cook did pass away in his sleep in Houston. Sad day for Tiger Fans.

3. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

I would like to send my condolence to Greg Cook family. "The Cookie Man" should be remembered as one of the most tenacious player in LSU uniform.

Best regards.

4. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

RIP "Cookieman". Lot of good memories. The :lsup: family will miss you.

btw... where was he living at the time?

5. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Wow, that one really hurts. He was the heart and soul of the LSU basketball team when he played. He was an enforcer but also a talented player who gave a great flair of personality to a team that was loaded with it.

I recall a game in which LSU played North Carolina at the old gym in Chapel Hill. Cook was hurt (or was out for the year). John Tudor put a hard foul on a UNC player and a young sophomore named Michael Jordan came running in and body-blocked Tudor from behind in retaliation, sending him flying off the court. Naturally, no foul was called on Jordan and I can remember sitting there wishing that Greg Cook had been somewhere on the court. If he had, Jordan would have been wearing a neck brace for the rest of the year.

I think Greg Cook was involved in public education in Houston, perhaps as supervisor of special education for the city schools. He made something of himself, and I will always admire him more for that than anything he did on the court.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The Cookie Monster will forever be loved by Tiger fans.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Damn. The Cookie Man was a couple of years younger than me. Makes me feel old.

The years that Cook played were the best years of LSU basketball.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep they think it was a blood clot in his leg. he had a crappy hmo and dale (per an interview today) had stated he was gonna get him better care and pay for it himself. said he was moping around with a walker and that was just a few days ago. I guess the timing was a bit late.

his wife woke up the other morning and he was dead...tried reviving him to no avail.

on a brighter note he has a phenom daughter who plays but she's headed to UT-Austin.

sad days indeed. gonna miss the cookie man yet will never forget LSU's greatest team and memories.