Hall of Fame: Terrell Davis or Kurt Warner?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by CajunPunk, Jan 1, 2009.

?

Who Deserves to be in the Hall of Fame More?

1. Terrell Davis

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I've heard people debate on whether or not these two should be in the hall.

When it first arose a few years back, I didn't think Warner should go in because of the lack of years he had played, but he's played at least 10 years (99-now) up to this point. He's only had 4 great seasons, with everything else was average or below average. He has, however, won a Superbowl and an NFL MVP award. He ranks 4th in all-time career QB rating with 93.8, is currently the all-time career leader with 259.9 yards passing average per game, and he is 2nd all-time in career passing percentage with 65.4%.

Terrell Davis was drafted in 1995 in the 6th round and had 1,100+ yards in his rookie year, 1,500+ yards in his second, 1,700+ in his third, and 2,000+ in his fourth before suffering an injury in his fifth year that he couldn't fully shake off. In his first four years before the injury, he rushed for 6,413 yards and 56 TDs, but in his last four years after the injury, he rushed for only 1194 yards and only 4 TDs. He retired in 2002. Had he not been injured, the would be mentioned with some of the best running backs ever and could have quite possibly been the all-time leading rusher.

But if you could only chose ONE, who would it be?

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Personally, I don't think either should be in the Hall.

but if I had to chose one, I think I'd geaux with Terrell Davis.
    TD made a difference in that Bronco offense. Yeah they had Elway, but before Elway got a running game, he could never quite get over the hump. Davis allowed Elway to be a QB instead of having to be Superman.

Warner on the other hand was surrounded by great players on that Rams offense. Faulk, Bruce, and Holt all played very well without Warner.
    This is the 1st season Warner played great without them. Other than that, he's been just a regular NFL passer. Not horrible, but nothing special either.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

+1

4. CajunPunk

I'm not sure if either should go as well, but the question should have been "If you HAD to chose ONE, who would it be?" I have a feeling at least one will make it.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'm obvioulsy a little biased towards TD having watched him play his entire career. He put up some incredible numbers in his short career. I'd say he's borderline with a 50/50 chance to get in.

As Nutriaitch wrote there's no way the Broncos could have won the two Super Bowls without him.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

It's sad that Davis got hurt, but 4 years is simply not enough.

I voted Warner for the impressive stats you gave plus an MVP plus a Super Bowl champion.

7. CajunPunk

Davis had a Superbowl, too, with a 1997 SB MVP and a 1998 NFL MVP. Four years isn't much, however, Gale Sayers made the HOF with 5 solid years (7 total) and less productivity than TD and no Super Bowls or MVPs.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

neither

9. Terrebonne95

Terrebonne95 LSU fan in Korea

If I had to choose one, I would go with Kurt Warner because of one simple argument: the Denver system. That's right, Davis has ZERO choice of making the HOF because people will argue that, despite his amazing 2000-yd season, he benefited greatly from the Denver system, which led to nobodys like Tatum Bell and Mike Bell and Mike Anderson being 1000 yard rushers over the seasons. Now, obviously Davis was better than those guys and even better than Clinton Portis, but he just did not produce for a long enough time to seriously be considered.

Kurt Warner may get in. He may, but at this point I would have to say no, especially considering other QBs of this time who have produced better over a longer stretch of time: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady being the main two. Of course, Brett Favre is a shoe-in, too. So, no, Warner probably won't get in, but he would definitely get in over Davis.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Neither should make it before Rickey Jackson, LB, New Orleans Saints
    225 career starts (20th in NFL history, never missed a game due to a football injury)
    128 career sacks (10th in NFL history, 3rd among LBs)
    29 career fumble recoveries
    1173 career tackles
    6-time Pro Bowler
    4-time 1st Team All-NFC (Pro Football Weekly)
    2-time All NFL (Sporting News)
    4-time 2nd team All NFL (AP)