Has anyone here backpacked the Backbone Trail in Kisatchie?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by locoguano, Mar 10, 2015.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

My wife and I are going to do our first overnight backpacking trip together during Spring Break. Anyone have any pointers for this trail? I know its pretty short and I have a guide book, but I don't want to miss anything interesting that might not be in the book. (Any particularly good overlooks or campsites? Any campsites that we should avoid? etc.)

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Damn fine day trail, mostly a ridge and valley hike. Rugged country for Louisiana with some relief and some rocks. Scenic vista's are rare in this state. Speaking of that, you must check out Longleaf Vista while you are there. It's a drive-up day-use area with picnic tables and such but a spectacular view from a sandstone mesa and some short nature trails.

Wear good boots, the Red Dirt area is not like the sandy trails through the flatwoods where you can get away with Chuck Taylor high tops. And it's snake country, amigo. Moccasins in the bottoms and copperheads in the woods; coral snakes in the brush and rattlesnakes everywhere. Don't freak your lady out, but keep your friggin' eyes open. Reptiles have been dormant and they come out and sun this time of year.

Another really good route up there is Kisatchie Bayou. It's a wading stream when not in flood with lots of small rock ledges making small waterfalls. It's a lot shadier hike for summertime.

With a backcountry permit, you can go cross-country in the Red Dirt Area. Few fire restriction this time of year and a good place to get away from those noisy Sierra Club mobs on the established trails.

3. locoguano

Thanks for the heads up on the snakes. Since most of the hiking in this area is in bottomland hardwood forests we are not strangers to the cottonmouths; Its been a long time since I have seen a "land" snake. As for boots, we are good on that. Hopefully we get some dry weather before hand to make things a little less sloppy, but I don't think Mr. NiƱo is going to cooperate. This will be our test run on equipment and her willingness to put away some miles. If all is good, we will be doing some more extended hikes in the early summer. If not, then I will be going solo (with a damn good emergency communications device).

4. locoguano

5. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I built a fire ring similar to that one in the woods behind our house to take the girls camping over spring break this week but it is forecast to rain/snow with ice pellets until Saturday. I am jealous of your weather!

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

So, how many snakes did you see?

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Damn, Red, did you ever think of writing for the Chamber of Commerce. I am already having nightmares!

Bengal B likes this.
  8. red55

The Kisatchie Wold is one of the few areas in Louisiana that you can actually find rocks to make a fire ring.

9. locoguano

The fire ring and log were already there. The tent is actually on top of a giant slap of stone/stones, hence the use of stones for dead man anchors. I did not see a single snake. We went out there Friday afternoon and hiked about halfway in. This is the bluff above Cypre Bayou. At around 6 pm another family walked up and seemed very disappointed that we had that spot. They camped just below us and could not have been more annoying. Loud adults, crying six month old, tossing uneaten food into the woods... Thankfully around 8 the rain came in and shut them up... and going to bed early with the wife is never a bad thing. The next day was a bit of a slog because the trail was muddy and rutted up by horses.

All in all, it was a good trip. Next up is beach camping near Fort Pickens, FL at the end of May, then a kayaking trip on the Buffalo River (Arkansas) in early June.

10. red55

The other campers is why I often stray from the trails to find a campsite, if permitted.

Tiger Exile likes this.