Hoops Recruting (2013)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Tiger N hornland I was waiting for you but I've been reading little tid bits of info from the Real Deal on the Rock and wanted to get the ball rolling!

I posted in the 2012 thread that LSU has officially offered Bridgewater but it belongs here.
    LSU offers Bridgewater

Another name to look out for Jerrell Martin 6'7 combo forward from Baton Rouge officially put his name on the map at the Real deal
    Jarrell Martin - Yahoo! Sports

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - Walker explodes at Real Deal

Real Deal In The Rock recap - ESPN

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Thanks, MrGreen.

Saw the piece on Bridgewater, and well, it's good to see LSU is in there mixing it up. Obviously, alot of these local kids would love to go to LSU for various reasons, not the least of which it's right there, family's right there, and despite all of the "negativity", LSU really is one of the better basketball schools in the SEC. I hope next year we all see that we're not really that far off.

That said, I think it's still a matter of recruiting, but also player development and well continual improvement. The 2013 and 2014 classes I think start to really turn the corner on talent. The LA classes are going to start to get deeper and better. So, whatever Trent did to convince John Isaac to commit to LSU as a sophomore, he's going to have to find a way to do that with kids like Jarrell Martin, Troy Jones, Javan Felix-that one or two 3*, borderline 4*s, that really want to play in front of family and friends. It's always key to focus on the Gathers of the worlds, but if lose sight of those other guys, I think you fall into the same trap that Brady did, which was to neglect the "baseline" foundational players you want in your program.

There are certainly more of those guys in the 2013 class who I hope Trent and his staff are watching closely.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Does Dwayne "Astronaut" Scales have any kids we could recruit?

That would be something !

Used to be that Dale Brown liked recruits named after Communist Dictators... Tito (Horford)...Nikita (Wilson)

Maybe "Astronaut" has an athletic "Cosmonaut" by now.

4. mrgreen21

Rivals top 100 for 2013 is out... Only 2 La kids are listed... B. Bridgewater at #31(thought he'd be a little higher) and Jerrall Martin at #89

5. mrgreen21

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Another Rivals piece on Jarrell Martin who continues to get national pub. The kid's put on some good muscle weight and it looking more and more the part of a true 4, with 3 skills. Let's just say, THIS is the bell weather signee for CJJ just like Gathers was the bellweather signing (or lack of) for Trent. I'm happy about the effort that CJJ is putting in, no doubt. But, we need to always give coaches a few years to judge them. Trent was the savior in year 1 and then his recruiting woes settled in. CJJ's making a splash now, but let's make sure this buzz can be sustained and also see if kids like Martin actually give LSU ink and not just lip service.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1368024

For 2013, I really want Martin and D. Jones, locally. Other than that, you'd like to see a PG if don't sign Collins this year. Lot's of names flying around in 2013, including really top-rated TX kids like Julius Randle. But, hard to see what's smoke and real fire.

7. mrgreen21

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...lar&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This recruiting article has something we haven't seen for awhile...LSU's name all over it!

On Jarrell Martin "[LSU has] turned the heat up and have been making him a priority since coach [Johnny] Jones took the job," said Jeff Jones. "They've done a great job of recruiting him and making themselves relevant."

On Montrezl Harrell (a 2012 PF who recently decommited from Va Tech) "But the sudden availability of such a touted player has sparked a feeding frenzy of attention. Kentucky, Alabama, LSU and Florida are among the plethora of schools now courting the 6-foot-7 power forward."
    On Devonta Pollard "As reported earlier, Alabama and Texas remain the favorites. Missouri, Georgetown and LSU are slightly behind."
    And...Dallas-based Urban DFW Elite will be in New Orleans for an upcoming tournament. Once they're done playing, at least two star players are expected to make a side trip to Baton Rouge to check out LSU.
    Martin jumped to #17 putting him on 5 star status
    Damian Jones is sitting at #71 at 4 star status
    Bridgewater dropped out

Other notables that LSU is recruiting
    Devin Williams a 6'8 PF from OH #96
    Kendal Harrris a 6'3 PG from Dallas #93

8. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Great info, 2013 could be awesome!

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

2013 recruiting is going to be fun....I cant wait to see what Coach Kirby does for us.

10. mrgreen21