How good is LSU's defense???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pastorcocky, Sep 16, 2007.

1. pastorcocky

pastorcocky Freshman

No disrespect to you guys at all (the Gamecock logo in the tiger eyes makes me nervous enough) but a Coach Holtz used to say: "Nothing is as good as it seems, nothing is as bad as it seems. Somewhere in the middle the truth lies."

Let's talk about LSU's defense. It's ranked number one. Their opponents rank 102 (VT), 105 (MTSU), 106 (MSU) in offense. I wish our team had a good enough offense to challenge (67th nationally) but we have lots of issues right now. However, it will be interesting to see LSU challenged by a good offense such as Florida and maybe Arkansas (though they are too one dimensional). The question that remains for LSU is the one that remains for all teams with some degree of success so far this season: How good are we?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The LSU defense has no doubts about itself. Apparently you do, so all I can say is The LSU defense finished the last five years ranked #1, #8, #3, #3, #3. And this years defense is better than each of them.

They are big, smart, experienced, aggressive, deep, and scary fast. Bo Pellini is the best DC in college football. If you want to find a weakness at LSU, look at the special teams which have underperformed in the last two years. But the defense is just a good as they are billed.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Damn, you lose points for quoting Lou Holtz.... Have you seen him on ESPN lately???? Dude's clueless!

...but there's a REASON why those 3 schools you mentioned have offenses ranked in the hundreds: US!

MTSU put up, what?, 500 yards on Louisville and then didn't even break the 100 yard mark yesterday...and because of that, THAT's the reason they dropped.

It's easy to say, "well, they haven't played against an offense ranked high", but the reality is that WE ARE the reason that none of those offenses are ranked high.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Have you considered that those 3 teams are ranked as low as they are right now because our game with them is thrown into their stats?

Our defense is as good as any college team I've ever seen.

5. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

We've allowed only 7 points in three games. I believe our turnovers are in the double digits. We lead the nation in total defense. Also, yes, the teams we've played are ranked pretty low in total offense. Perhaps that is because they've played us and we've held them to so little yards.

Also, and no offense, but you lost points by starting off your post with a Lou Holtz quote. That's just not good headwork.

1 person likes this.
  6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I'm generally a cynic, but this LSU defense is absurdly good. Of course they're athletic and fast, but the biggest difference is their discipline. I can't recall seeing such a well-disciplined defense.

7. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

No doubt. I was thinking along those same lines.

149, 146, and 90 will hurt any team's offensive statistics.

8. pastorcocky

pastorcocky Freshman

I did not mean to pick a nerve... I have all the respect in the world for you guys. LSU has had some monster defenses in this decade. I think they will end up a top ten defense when this year is over. Having watched Mississippi State and Virginia Tech a couple of times this year, their offenses are terrible no matter who they have played. I do not think we have the passing game or offensive line to contend, but I am not sure LSU has been tested yet by a good offense.

As for Holtz, no one is happier to forget him than I am, but his quote set up my thought. I have to give him credit though - he has been pumping up Tebow all year (to my disdain) but for a sophomore, he looked scary yesterday.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Especially with so few games being played, these teams haven't had time to better their averages.

By the Way, how's the head/face from last night?:hihi:

10. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Mississippi St. total Yards
    vs LSU - 146
    @ Tulane - 489
    @ Auburn - 213
    Average not counting LSU - 351
    Rank - 80

Virginia Tech Total
    vs. ECU - 278
    @ LSU - 149
    vs. Ohio - 473
    Average not counting LSU - 375.5
    Rank - 73

Middle Tennessee State
    @ FAU - 217
    @ Louisville - 555
    @ LSU - 90
    Average not counting LSU - 386
    Rank - 67

Granted they aren't spectacular offenses but our defense has a lot to do with them being ranked in the 100s.