Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

"How I hacked Kayak and booked a cheaper flight"

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I think that this is worth sharing.

http://www.josecasanova.com/blog/how-i-hacked-kayak-and-booked-a-cheaper-flight/

Let me start this out by saying I didn’t “hack” something in the black hat Hackers way, but by finding a market inefficiency and leveraging it to my advantage. It must be the day trader in me. No harm was done to any computers or systems in the making of this post.

TL;DR: I booked a flight through Kayak using a VPN and saved ~$100.
    Long version: I was looking for flights to New Orleans when I realized that the flight price I checked yesterday was ~$100 cheaper. I started to think why the price went up so much in one day and tried checking the flight again using only Google Incognito but there was no price budge. Maybe my VPN had something to do with it? The night before I was using aVPN (I use BTGuard btw) and Kayak thought I was from Toronto, Canada. I guess if you are not from the departure city then flights are cheaper?

So what did I do?
    So I had originally went to Kayak today and checked flights from Miami to New Orleans (Mardi Gras, w00t!). This was done without a VPN but using Google’s Incognito feature. Take a look at how much the flights were:

[​IMG]
    Flights to New Orleans from Miami (Non-VPN)

Also, check out where my IP was saying that I was from:

[​IMG]
    This is my “real” IP, no VPN

I thought this was strange since the night before I had checked flights and they were ~$100 cheaper. I realized I was logged into my VPN and thought it might have to do with that (BTW, I use the VPN to mask my internet traffic… sorry NSA). So what did I do? Tried checking again while being logged into my VPN!

This is me being logged into my VPN:

[​IMG]
    VPN FTW!

And here is where my IP is saying that I am from:

[​IMG]
    Canada, eh?

So I tried Kayak again, while being “shown” as being from Canada and this is what I got:

[​IMG]
    Check out the Canadian flag at the top right

That is about a ~$70+ price difference (I don’t think that included taxes)! Also, when I had checked earlier, that $345 flight wasn’t there… so it was a +$100 difference. When I went to book my flight my checkout total was in EUROS! The thing is, it wasn’t 380 euros, but 207 euros! That converts to about $280 USD.

[​IMG]
    Euros wuddup

Moral of the story? Try booking your flights through a VPN, maybe you’ll save a few bucks….. even if you pay in euros.

PS: I checked my online bank statement and I paid $281.60 total!

PSS: The flight is now over $400 on a non-VPN via Kayak + Google Incognito.
  2. TigerBill661

TigerBill661 Life is Good

3. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

What you failed to point out is that the same exact flights were NOT cheaper when booking them through VPN. It was a completely different flight than one of the bookings that were originally listed. The way the cheaper flight was obtained was because Southwest Airlines doesn't publish fares or sell tickets through third parties in the United States. However this person's location appeared to be in Canada by using VPN. Southwest does allow sales through third party sites like Kayak outside the US. So the way he saved money was by booking a Southwest flight that was cheaper than the others that wasn't listed in the original search. The SAME flights weren't cheaper at all. He could have booked it directly through Southwest for that price in the first place if he'd went through their website.
    red55 likes this.
  4. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

What about Pesos or Rubles?
    uscvball likes this.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Tigerbacker just bent this post over. We'll done sir.
  6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I wasn't aware of the Southwest/3rd party deal. But this graphic makes it look like he purchased the SouthWest tix from Kayak.

http://www.josecasanova.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/kayak_canadza.png

edit: by the way, I didn't write this....it was from this dudes blog.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

8. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I wasn't aware that SW could be sold through third parties either until I read this article. Apparently it's only outside the US. It seems the author didn't know either.
  9. lsutiga

lsutiga TF Pubic Relations

I would love to hear/know more about that VPN deal. Seriously.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Bro, you couldn't figure out how to make the @ sign. This stuff will make you crap down your pant leg and into your delcambre reboks. Let it go ;)
    red55 and Cajun Sensation like this.