how many scholarships does john brady have available this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BasileTiger, Apr 20, 2004.

1. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

Just wondering how many scholarships john brady has to give this year. I know we have given three for sure.

1) Glenn Davis
    2) Garrett Temple
    3) Tyrus Thomas.

With that said, where are the other scholarships. Last year we signed Regis Kondjuia, Brandon Bass, Tack Minor, Darnell Lazarre, and Ross Nelter. That's five scholarships last year and only three this year!

WTF is Brady doing?????

2. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

we only have 3 scholarships available

you can only have a certain amount of players on scholarship, but i know since 3 scholarship players left last year we lost those

i know when we were on probation, we could not get back any scholarships to people who quit, went to the nba, or transferred

i guess we can't have the scholarships back from last year or the year before either or brady would have recruited more players

3. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

Yeah Brady figured he would have more schollies this year due to the fact that he was going to be able to run off a few of the incoming freshman. But it turned out he ran off a senior that we were already planning on gaining that schollie

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

You guys are all misguided. If you knew anything about college basketball you would know that under current rules a team can only sign 8 guys over a 2 year period. There is also a maximum of 5 players signed in one year. So if you do the math, LSU signed 5 last year (8-5 = 3) so they can only sign 3 this year.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

However it looks like the 5/8 rule soon be removed thus rendering your attempt at Brady Bashing valid in a few years.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/139672-1044-036.html

NCAA to drop '5/8 rule'
    Key committee recommends rule loathed by coaches be repealed.

By Mark Alesia
    [email protected]
    April 20, 2004

In a move that will be cheered by many basketball coaches, a high-ranking NCAA committee voted Monday to repeal scholarship limits known as the "5/8 rule."

The rule prevents schools from awarding more than five scholarships in one year and more than eight in a two-year period. Teams are allowed a total of 13.

The Division I Management Council, a group comprised mostly of athletic directors and commissioners, voted to repeal the rule at its meeting in Indianapolis. Final approval is expected April 29 in a meeting in Indianapolis of the Division I Board of Directors, comprised of university presidents.

Enacted in 2000, the 5/8 rule was meant to reduce attrition in college basketball and discourage coaches from "running off" unwanted players. Coaches, however, complained that they were unfairly restricted in trying to replace players who transferred but were not "run off," suffered a career-ending injury or even died.

"The 5/8 rule is a rather blunt instrument," NCAA president Myles Brand said. "We had waivers that were put in place, but the range of those inadvertent consequences is very large."

The main argument, though, was that a new system of rewards and penalties, based on teams' academic performance, will address the same issues as the 5/8 rule. Included in that plan is a measurement that holds teams accountable for retention of players.

As expected, that system, a framework known as "incentives and disincentives," passed the Management Council unanimously Monday. It is also expected to be ratified by the Board of Directors.

"We're in a very good position now to present this to the Board of Directors," Brand said of the unanimous vote.

Brand, who became president of the NCAA in 2003, appeared with members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches at a news conference at the Final Four. The coaches praised his involvement.

"I think with the eight-and-five rule, it came in almost in the cloak of darkness," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson said.

Said Montana coach Pat Kennedy: "I think what Dr. Brand has brought to our table is an understanding of the issues that really opens the door, and we maybe have not seen that in years past."

The Management Council will spend today considering recommendations from a special Task Force on Recruiting.

That committee, formed after reports of violence, scandal and excesses in the recruiting process, suggests reforms such as eliminating the use of private airplanes to fly recruits to official campus visits.

6. BasileTiger

misguided???

Dude, I just asked. That's being misguided. Ok we only had three scholarships to give this year. That's all I needed to know.

So we waste two of the three.

Garrett Temple - not even in the top 10 in louisiana talent. Only reason we sign him is because his father and brother.

Tyrus Thomas - second team all-state. Why we signed him I don't know either.

Glenn Davis - a prize recruit, let's hope he doesn't think about the NBA yet.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

misguided

8. BasileTiger

misguided

Being misguided is posting nearly 2,000 times on a message board! :wink:

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

True... :shock:

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've heard some criticism of the Garrett Temple scholly choice. Collis Temple Jr. was before my time but I've heard nothing but good things about him. CTIII was obviously a class act and asset to both the university and basketball program. From what I've heard about Garrett, he's got size and the potential to improve exponentially. Intangibles like the above are important to me in recruiting. Fans have bashed Brady for S. Johnson, Lloreda, etc. Then they bash a good kid with upside like Garrett. There are only so many ultra-talented, good kids out there. Although I don't think it's a big factor, there's also the Glen Davis situation. With all things considered, I support the decision to offer Garrett a scholly. In a couple of years, I expect he'll be in the rotation. You know he won't quit at halftime or bolt for the NBA. If there's a coaching change, he'll probably stick around. If I'm wrong about him, I'll admit it later but I think he'll be an asset to the program.