How this game affected the Top 5 picks in the draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Wolf04, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Wolf04

Wolf04 Founding Member

This game completly changed the top 5 picks of the draft.

If VY was considering staying before this game, he sure isn't now. The reasons.....

- His stock will never be any higher than it is right now

- By virtue of the way he plays his position he could very well get injured and/or have a less than stellar year near season.

- He saw what happened to ML. Matt was the consensous #1 pick last season, but he chose to stay despite all reason. Even though he had a better year this year than last year he has fallen 2-4 picks. That move cost him millions of $$. VY will not make the same mistake.

- Every team is looking for the new Mike Vick. If for nothing else than putting butts in the seats, he will be the #1 or #2 overall pick.

The teams that will benifit the most from this are the Jets, Saints, and Texans.

- Houston has to be smilling right now because the are in the best possible situation right now. They can either draft Young or Bush (2 #1 worthy players) or do what is best for them and trade down to the #4 pick with the Jets. At #4 they can draft that OT from VT and get the jets #1 for next year.

- The jets can pick either RB or QB and get a franchice player either way.

- The Saints accually got a good break for once. Either they get REALLY lucky and they jets pick Bush so they can get Young, they can pick Bush themselves and trade Duece if it looks like Bush is as good as he looks (I don't like that option, but you have to consider it), or trade down for Leinart or Jacobs. Also it would be hard for to justify any team passing up Bush if he was available with no equal value QB on the board (Leinart is a sore loser and a coward, so i don't want him on ther Saints), but the saints NEED a QB. If they pick Bush they had better get a good QB through Free agency.

I see the draft going like this...

#1 Jets - Bush: As good as VY is and as unstellar of a game Bush had, Bush still goes first. I would still not be surprised to see Young go here though.

#2 Saints- Young: No reason needed. Bush goes here if Young is off the board.

#3 Titans- Leinart: ML is reunited with Chow

#4 Texans - That OT for VT (can't remember his name and i don't feel like looking it up): They may want Young or Bush, but they NEED OL help

#5 Green Bay- DeAngelo Williams: Green becomes trade bait

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I respectfully disagree. IMO, Young still has a ways to go developing his passing game. Vs- Leinart who has been working in a pro system for a couple of years now. I don't think the scouts will judge this game as the deciding factor. If you look at it, Young still has a lot of work to do with his mechanics alone.

3. NJtiger

NJtiger Founding Member

Very interesting analysis. But I admit I sort of hope that ML is chosen by the Saints. The Saints won't be any good no matter who they get, and ML would be totally miserable in black and gold! Plus, he doesn't have the clout any more, unless somehow he is the absolute star of the combine, to pull an Eli and refuse to go there. I've never seen a bigger baby than ML, and I could see his turning into a Ryan Leaf at the next level. We'll see...:geauxtige :geauxtige

4. Wolf04

Wolf04 Founding Member

Yes, i agree he does need more work with his passing game. The NFL draft is completly void of common sence though. Young WILL come out, weather he is ready or not, and he WILL go #1 or #2. The Media and everyone else has declared him the next Vick and either the Texans, Saints, or Jets will pick him if for no other reason that to generate hype for their team and sell tickets.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Young will stay and the top 5 won't change one bit...

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Although this should not be a surprise to longtime Saints observers, Mike & Mike are saying that the Saints are considering Vandy's Jay Cutler with the 2nd pick.

How well would that sit with the few remaining Saints fans?

7. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Jay Cutler!!!!!
    OMG are you serious?

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's what they said! :eek:

9. jjtsaints

jjtsaints Founding Member

aint no way in hell

10. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

In a trade down situation, I'd be okay with Cutler. If they take Cutler at two, that should prove to the entire world that Benson is pulling a Major League with the Saints. LET'S GO GET WILD THING!