Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

How was your year?

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by hebertjp, Dec 19, 2013.

1. hebertjp

hebertjp Veteran Member

My year consisted of one bright spot surrounded by a steaming pile of poo. The bright spot was the birth of my 4th child in February. It was a stress free, uncomplicated birth and my older three children were in the room and saw it happen. It was a special moment.

Now the rest of year was pretty rotten. Spent too much time visiting the ER or tending to medical care for various reasons. I would have filled up a frequent ER/urgent care customer card if they had one. My wife went to the ER just before #4 was born. First she went to urgent care because she thought she might have the flu but they flipped out over her elevated blood pressure. We then wasted a bunch of time in the ER for nothing. Shortly after #4 was born, my wife slipped on some ice while carrying #3 and broke her thumb on a planter. Wasn't much fun taking care of a newborn with a broken thumb. Second ER visit, my 9 year old swallowed a penny. Normally the trachea of a 9 year old is wide enough for a penny to go through but not my 9 year old. Went to two different ERs that night before getting it scoped out. Got a neat xray image of it though. Third ER visit, my wife went because she thought she might have had appendicitis. Her appendix is larger than average but not inflamed. Fourth ER visit, my now 10 month old #4 is there right now with a broken femur. My wife slipped down some stairs while holding her and they both fell against the side wall pretty hard. Apparently you if take you kid to the ER with any type of injury, it is assumed you are a child abuser. Just had to let two child welfare workers in my home to check on the safety of our other three kids. At least the visit was brief and the workers were friendly. I'm sure I am missing some other things here.

Home wise, we had to put up with really dickish neighbors for quite a while. Don't want to get into details here but it was pretty stressful. We thought, "Screw it, we'll just move". But we couldn't sell our house. So we bought another place anyway and moved. If we can sell our old place for what we are asking for it currently we will have to pay only another 10k to get out of it, making a loss of $40k if you count the money we spent on upkeep and improvements. We may be able to rent it, otherwise, foreclosure here we come.

Work wise, not much going on here. I don't really like my current position. My managers could really use some courses on interpersonal relations and have no clue about balancing family and work life because they don't have families. But the pay is good.

And while all this crap is going on, I gained 25 lbs. I was on a good weight loss run the year before but this year really stunk. Apparently I binge on junk when I am stressed. Going to get back on the wagon after the holidays.

Sorry for the long rant. I don't really have anyone else I can vent to except my wife and she is living the nightmare with me.

Someone had to have had a better year than I have. Please share your story, good or bad. Thanks.
  2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My year started off in the ICU with my dad at a local hospital--after he suffered a major heart attack two days after Christmas while he was visiting us. He had a quadruple bypass on December 30th, and by January 1st, the doctors felt he'd had a stroke while in surgery because he was unresponsive. Over the next several days, he improved and around a week later, he came back to our house, only to be rushed back to the hospital a couple of days later with heart failure and another 10 days in ICU.

My parents were finally able to travel back to Louisiana near the end of January.

At the same time, my husband had been given an offer at his job to move to Newark or take a severance package. We chose the latter, and the first 4months of the year were very stressful with him being out of work. By April, he found a better job, but since has spent about half of many months traveling to Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Seattle. I'm not complaining--it just leaves me as a single working mom.

My epileptic daughter was declared seizure-free after a sleep-deprived EEG in July and has been off her awful, mind-numbing seizure meds since then--so I'm very thankful for that. Her performance in school has since increased, which is good in preparation for high school in a year and a half.

As the year started drawing to a close, a longtime co-worker (of 17 years) was diagnosed with lymphoma and is undergoing chemo. She's in her mid-50's.

But even more shocking, one of my closest friends, who is 45, went in for what she thought was going to be a routine hysterectomy and instead, doctors found large, vascular tumors wrapped around her ovaries, spine, and intestines. She has three girls and a husband who sells cars and works constantly. Her big tumor-removing surgery is on January 7th (doctors are worried she could bleed to death, I think, during the procedure, but the tumors are killing her.) She was thin to start with and has probably lost 25 pounds in the past month. She's a walking skeleton, and I feel like she'd have been better off starting off overweight--because of course, she's going to lose some more after the surgery.

Another longtime co-worker, who is 40, was diagnosed with breast and liver cancer last month and just started chemo yesterday.

2013 has been okay--but not the best of years.
  3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos I'm self-smart

Fucking terrible. I think the number 13 really is bad luck, and I'm ready for it to be over.
  4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

Had a second baby boy
    Work wise it has been pretty good
    marriage wise-ehh
    still in school pursuing my law degree taking that slowly because of the kids
    health has been great this year- 2012 had my first bout with walking pneumonia, never had that before after that got a full body work up at the Cleveland Clinic and everything checked out great
    my 2 and half year old is shy, but he has come out of his shell for his age he is one the smartest in his class. Can write and spell his entire name, add and subtract, etc and is super athletic, teachers brag on him alot. I am thankful to have such wonderful children.
    LSUDad likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

I have to vote for the "stinking pile of poo" category
    fanatic likes this.
  6. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Veteran Member

Financially, it was a terrific year. Got a big raise and expect a big bonus while the stock market soared so my 401K got much fatter. Healthwise, it was so-so . . . eye surgery that is leaving me with something a bit short of normal vision. It sucks, but at least I'm not blind. Thank God for small blessings.
    TigersTailgating likes this.
  7. TigersTailgating

TigersTailgating Waterford Lesticles

Definately could've been better but there's always 2014 to look forward to.
    LSUDad likes this.