How would you guys characterize the rivalry btwn. LSU and aTm? Heated? Fierce?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Dec 17, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

First of all the mis-conception everyone has is that Tiger Stadium is a bar. They check purses and watch closely for any alcohol consumption at and during the game. I have seen countless people being ejected for trying to sneak a flask in, or getting caught with ANY booze in the stadium.

Now does that mean we all dont sneak it in and wait for the officer to look away as we pour us a toddy ??? No.
    But people think we can drink in Tiger Stadium, and that is just not the case. We do, but we dont have kegs in the stairways and an open bar at the end of every row.

2. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

All about money

I believe that LSU wanted out of the series with eATMe because of MONEY. The AD at the time (Jim Beam) was transfixed with the idea of having 7 homes games a year. With the eATMe series, we would have 6 home games a season every other year. A big time NO-NO in the eyes of the LSU AD. LSU wanted that 7th game EVERY year.

I believe that that is STILL an issue and why I doubt if we will ever add a true home-and-home rivalry with any team because LSU insists on 7 home games a year (even if three are pansies). The only reason we played a respectable non-conference team this year (VT) is because this season had an extra weekend to squeeze in a 12th game. Wish it could have been eATMe instead of VT. Would have meant a lot more to LSU fans and recruits. Instead, we now have VT coming here in 2004 when there is that extra weekend to squeeze in that 12th game.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Pose this question on Texags.com and see how quickly their posters seize on the "backed out of the contract" issue. To add to Aggie Fran's statement, LSU decided to "back out" of the contract two years early at the time that the SEC went to an 8 game schedule. Sure, A&M had beaten us several times in the early 90s, but who didn't? We had a total of zero (0, zilch, nada, zip) winning seasons from 1989 through 1994. That means most schools we played beat us. That does not mean that A&M was anything special.

Although I hate to defend Joe Dean, I do understand his reasons for getting out of the contract. At the time, schools played 11 games each year, and with 4 away SEC games, that left only 6 home games in years we played at College Station. At a school like LSU, that one game meant over $1 million in lost revenue. It was in the school's financial interest to get rid of that game. The only other year we played an OOC away game was in '98 versus a previously-scheduled Notre Dame.

As for the Aggie whining about the contract and the allegations that LSU "owes" A&M anything, it always makes me laugh that they fail to understand a legal settlement. If A&M is/was owed anything by LSU, why did they not hire an attorney to file a lawsuit to collect this money? Are there no Aggie attorneys? Anyway, it just cracks me up. As I said, pose this question on Texags and see what responses you get.

BTW, I'm all for renewing the series. I enjoyed it, and I like the bitter hatred that the matchup seemed to raise. I'd much rather play an opponent that I can't stand than someone I don't care about (see Virginia Tech).

4. eric d

eric d Founding Member

But there should be.

5. Aggie Fran

Aggie Fran Founding Member

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered being able to drink in Lousianna at college games. I might be thinking of just bowl games though.

6. SoLa in NoIll

Aggie Fran, you can drink at Tulane games. The SEC prohibits the sale of alcohol at on-campus facilities, though, so there is no alcohol sold in Tiger Stadium.

7. Aggie Fran

Aggie Fran Founding Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

What is the all time series record?

9. SoLa in NoIll

LSU leads 26-20-3.

10. TravisCoTiger

TravisCoTiger Founding Member

Aggie Fran, LSU went 10-2 in '96 and 9-3 in '97 with a very prolific offense and a good defense. Your big,bad aggies wound up going 6-6 in '96 ,including a loss to powerhouse USL (now ULL). a&m should feel fortunate LSU supposedly "backed out" that year,because the Tiger offense would've moved the ball at will on your overrated wrecked crew and would've taken out 5 years of frustration on the gomers. How about taking it back to texf-gs.com:rolleyes: