I don't understand LSU's limited playbook

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Oct 23, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

They're keeping it vanilla so other teams can't game plan. :hihi:

I've been saying this and have felt the same. Probably why, as you posted, he kept it instead of giving it to Shep. Dude can't "read".

2. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

See this is something that has been driving me crazy! He is the freaking offensive coordinator. He is the teacher of the offense, he is suppose to make the offense his own. If his offense is to elaborate then maybe he should be coaching in the NFL or in the ivy league. He needs to know his audience here these are kids not adults. It isn't about making the most elaborate plays it is about making the most effective plays. Which is evident that GC is incapable of doing. Our offense has gone backwards as far as i'm concerned and I am not sure I see it getting better.

3. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

Now, I'm sure that LSU's playbook is more complicated than my HS playbook was, but when either Jefferson or Lee is on the field, it seems like we are limited to less than 12-15 plays. How can this be? Is it our offense or our qb's so unintelligent that they are unable to have more variety than that? Or is Crowton only comfortable calling those few plays, and if so, why?

Most coloring books only have 20 or 30 pages and I believe that is what crowton uses for his playbook

4. WoodlandsTiger

WoodlandsTiger Founding Member

5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Yes it is. I think TT shows in his body language that he is not really sure what JJ is going to do. His routes are sloppy because he may think he is not going to get the ball anyway.

6. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I think the bigger problem is that we are trying to use too many different packages. Since the Florida game of 07, you can predict the play based on the personnel package.

For example:
    in 2007: Perrilloux in? Option, likely to be a QB keeper.
    in 2009: Shepard in? Wildcat QB keeper.
    in 2010: Shepard in? Stretch read, with Jefferson's hand off to Shepard going left or keep up the middle.

Now I know it isn't that simple, but when Shepard lines up in the right H-back position, you know what's coming.

The plays listed worked well the first few times they were used, but opponents got wise to them and started stopping them. Crowton apparently thinks that he is fooling the defense, but if he isn't fooling me, he isn't fooling any professional DC. Not even Ted Roof.

GEAUX TIGERS

7. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Well if this is correct, TT shouldn't be on the field.

:eek:ldskule:

8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Yeh but how complicated do you have to be with Newton? I mean DAMN.

9. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

That's my point. With the weapons we have we should be able to run some simple plays to get the ball in their hands. We knew Newton was going to run, no big secret, but we couldn't stop him. We have so many guys with talent who cares about complicated schemes, just get them the ball. Execute your assignment and beat your man. You can't make me believe that one Cam newton is better than TT,RS,SR,DP, and the many other weapons we got. I looked at the stats today and it was the JJ show. He called his number more than the rest of those guys. Unlike Cam, he ain't the answer. He has to find a way to get the ball to the playmakers.

But I agree with your assessment of CN.....DAMN!:thumb:

10. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I think some people are talking what I was questioning past its logical extreme. People are saying that we don't need overly complicated schemes and to try to out-fancy the Defense because we have the playmakers and we shouldn't have to do that.

I totally agree with that statement.

However, the 10-15 or so plays that we run, from the 10 or so formations we run them from are not only NOT getting the ball in our playmakers' hands, they are tipping off the defense to which play we're running before it even happens. Look, I know that some athletes are not known for their incredible IQ, but I guarantee there are Defensive players out there in the SEC who, if a coach hands them a printout play sheet and a video that shows them the only 1-3 plays that we run from each formation. When they get on the field, they KNOW where the ball is going. From there, its only a matter of containing and tackling. That severely limits the offense when there is no element of surprise.

Now you're right, execution is obviously important. Every play is designed to be successful. In fact, every offensive play, if run perfectly, should score a TD. So, if your team can run 2 running plays and 2 pass plays absolutely perfectly every time, then your team is already in damn good shape.

However, what I was trying to say about my high school's 100+ play playbook was that it WASN'T complicated. In fact, it was very simple. When calling the play, the coach called the wr formation, back formation, and play number. Most of the plays could be run out of multiple WR and multiple back formations, with or without pre-snap motion.

Come to think of it, I'm actually starting to think that if LSU would run my high school's offense we could actually be much more productive than we are currently.