I just want to know who we, as LSU Fans, want to be our next DC and why?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hpmcdaniel, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hpmcdaniel

hpmcdaniel Founding Member

I just want to know who we, as LSU Fans, want to be our next DC and why? I do not know a lot about the people they are saying might get the job and want to know the opinion of the Fans. Thanks for helping me out here. :) I am just trying to understand.:hihi:

Heather:geauxtige

2. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Muschamp.... but I would take Campo, or Slocum

3. BB

BB Founding Member

I think Muschamp would be great and he's a guy LSU fans have come to really appreciate, but how in the world can anyone not jump up and down at the thought of Dave Campo coming to Baton Rouge. Maybe some people haven't read his bio. I've had the feeling that Campo is going to be our next Defensive Coordinator for several weeks now...

I know that Campo is much older, but Muschamp can't touch this man's resume.

Dave Campo

Defensive Coordinator
    Year with Browns: 2nd
    Year in NFL: 16th

Dave Campo was named the Browns defensive coordinator on January 10, 2003. The Browns’ 2003 defense ranked 15th in the NFL, the club’s best overall defensive ranking since 1994 (7th). Cleveland also posted a sack in 15 of 16 games and ranked 2nd in the AFC, 3rd in the NFL in inside the 20 TD pct. (37.5 pct./48 possessions-18 TDs). The Browns held four teams without a touchdown (Indianapolis, San Francisco, New England and Arizona), and Cleveland’s 13 passing TDs allowed tied for the fewest allowed in franchise history in during a 16-game season (1988, 1994).

Prior to coaching together with the Browns, Campo and Browns Head Coach Butch Davis also worked together on the same defensive staff for eight other seasons (Miami Hurricanes, 1987-88; Dallas Cowboys, 1989-94), a span that included two Super Bowl titles and one collegiate National Championship.

Before joining the Browns, Campo spent the previous 14 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys including 11 seasons as an assistant and the last three as head coach. Campo and Davis worked together as assistants on Jimmy Johnson’s Dallas Cowboys staff for six seasons from 1989-94, with Davis as defensive line coach (1989-92) and then as defensive coordinator (1993-94) and Campo as the secondary coach. They helped the Cowboys to consecutive Super Bowl Championships following the 1992 and 1993 seasons. They also worked together under Johnson at the University of Miami during the 1987-88 seasons and helped the Hurricanes capture the 1987 National Championship.

The 2002 Cowboys finished 5-11 for the third consecutive season, and defensive tackle La’Roi Glover earned a Pro Bowl berth. The Cowboys also featured the youngest starting defensive secondary in the league, with two rookies (Roy Williams, Derek Ross), a second-year player (Tony Dixon) and a third-year player (Mario Edwards). The 2002 Cowboys defense ranked 5th in the NFL by allowing only 10 rushing TDs (only Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Miami allowed fewer rushing TDs). The 2001 Cowboys fielded the NFL’s third youngest opening day roster. Of the 22 starters who finished the 2001 season, 13 were under the age of 28. The Dallas defense allowed 1,710 rushing yards, 927 fewer yards than the club allowed during the 2000 season. Those numbers represented the largest turnaround by any defensive unit in the NFL in 2001. In his inaugural season as head coach (2000), Campo led an injury-plagued club. The Cowboys lost 11 opening-day starters for a combined total of 70 games, including nine who suffered season-ending injuries. Ultimately, the team’s fate was determined by five losses that were decided by a combined total of 19 points.

In four of the five years that Campo directed the Dallas defense as coordinator (1995-99), the Cowboys finished the year ranked among the NFL’s top 10 units, including a pair of top three finishes. The 1999 defense ranked ninth in the NFL (third in NFC) in total yards and allowed one touchdown or less in nine of the 16 regular season games. The Cowboys defense held opponents to 13 points or less in nine of the team’s 16 games in 1999, tying for the second most in club history. Dallas closed the 1999 season ranked 5th in the NFL in scoring (17.3 ppg.). Only four defensive units permitted fewer offensive touchdowns than the 25 surrendered by Dallas and only St. Louis (four) surrendered fewer rushing touchdowns than the six allowed by the Cowboys. The 24 interceptions recorded by Dallas marked just the second time in the last 13 years the team topped the 20 interception barrier, and it was the highest interception total for a Dallas team since 1985. Following the 1999 season, linebacker Dexter Coakley and cornerback Deion Sanders were named to the NFC Pro Bowl squad.

Dallas captured the NFC East title in 1998, ranked 5th in the NFL in third down conversion defense (32.9%), and defensive tackle Leon Lett, cornerback Deion Sanders and safety Darren Woodson were named to the Pro Bowl. Campo’s 1997 defense ranked second in the NFL in total defense (282.3 ypg.), while leading the league in pass defense (157.6 ypg.). Sanders and Woodson earned Pro Bowl honors.

Campo’s 1996 defense helped guide the Cowboys to a 10-6 record and an unprecedented fifth straight NFC Eastern Division crown. During the 1996 regular season, the Dallas defense was ranked first in the NFL for 11 of 16 weeks before closing the year ranked 3rd (273.9 ypg.). The Cowboys pass defense finished the year ranked 2nd in the NFL, permitting just 175.4 yards-per-game, while the Dallas rushing defense was 10th (98.5 ypg.). The Cowboys defense surrendered just 20 touchdowns (second best in the NFL), and did not allow a touchdown in four games. Three of Dallas’ defensive starters, Sanders, Woodson and Tony Tolbert, were named to the Pro Bowl.

Campo’s 1995 defense helped the Cowboys capture Super Bowl XXX and finished the season ranked 3rd in the NFL in fewest touchdowns allowed (32) and fewest points allowed (18.2 ppg.). Only seven NFL teams had more interceptions than the 19 registered by Dallas, and the Cowboys tied a club record by returning four interceptions for touchdowns. With defensive stars such as Sanders, Kevin Smith, Charles Haley and Russell Maryland missing a combined 37 starts, the Cowboys still managed to finish the season ranked 9th in the NFL (fourth in the NFC) in total defense (315.3 ypg.).

Campo was promoted to defensive coordinator on January 24, 1995 after then Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Butch Davis left to become head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Prior to becoming defensive coordinator, Campo directed a secondary that had grown into one of the team’s deepest and most productive units. His 1994 squad led the NFL in pass defense (172.0 ypg.) and tied for 4th in the NFL with 22 interceptions. All-Pro strong safety Darren Woodson became the first Dallas defensive back to earn a starting Pro Bowl berth since Everson Walls (1985). While directing the secondary of the Super Bowl XXVIII Champion Cowboys in 1993, Campo’s group was led by cornerback Kevin Smith, who intercepted more passes (6) than any Dallas player since the 1986 season. Also in 1993, strong safety Thomas Everett became the first Dallas defensive back in seven seasons to be named to the Pro Bowl.

Campo was hired by Dallas in 1989 after spending two years at the University of Miami as the secondary coach. At Miami, he helped the Hurricanes to a two-year record of 23-1 and the 1987 National Championship. Safety Bennie Blades was the 1987 Jim Thorpe Award winner before being selected with the third pick in the NFL draft by the Detroit Lions. Eight of Campo’s Miami players went on to sign

NFL contracts. Campo spent three seasons (1984-86) at Syracuse University prior to joining Miami.

Campo began his career at his alma mater, Central Connecticut State, where he spent the 1971-72 seasons. He then moved to the University of Albany (1973), Bridgeport (1974), the University of Pittsburgh (1975), Washington State (1976), Boise State (1977-79), Oregon State (1980), Weber State (1981-82) and Iowa State (1983). In addition to starring at defensive back in college, Campo twice earned All-East honors at shortstop at Central Connecticut State. He attended Robert E. Fitch High School in Groton, Conn. He and his wife Kay have six children: Angie, Eric, Becky, Tommy, Shelbie and Michael.

Coaching Background:
    1971-72 Central Connecticut State University, linebackers
    1973 University of Albany, secondary
    1974 University of Bridgeport, defensive coordinator
    1975 University of Pittsburgh, secondary
    1976 Washington State University, secondary
    1977-78 Boise State University, secondary
    1979 Boise State University, defensive coordinator
    1980 Oregon State University, secondary
    1981-82 Weber State University, assistant head coach/defensive coordinator
    1983 Iowa State University, secondary
    1984-86 Syracuse University, secondary
    1987-88 University of Miami, secondary
    1989-90 Dallas Cowboys, defensive assistant
    1991-94 Dallas Cowboys, secondary
    1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, defensive coordinator
    2000-02 Dallas Cowboys, head coach
    2003-04 Cleveland Browns, defensive coordinator

[​IMG]

4. lsufan99

lsufan99 Founding Member

Muschamp, without a doubt! If he doesn't get/take it, I'd like to see "Stump" Collins get hired. I am not too sure about our chances if we bring an outsider in who wants to change the whole defensive philosophy of our team.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

And WHO was the defensive coordinator at Cleveland in 1994?????!?!?!?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Rece@2022

Rece@2022 Founding Member

I am a Tiger fan who lives in Oklahoma city and they think Bo Pellini is going to take it b/c who wants to be co-defensive coordinater. He wants to run the defense show. We know Miles is the offensive guy and would let Bo call all of the plays. OU defense last year wasn't bad, but how much of Stoops caused the problems in the big games. Bo in Nebraska his last year had an excellent defense (9-3). I like Campo though (also a Cowboy fan). Campo was one of the architects of the dominant defense of the 90's.

Geaux Tigers

7. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

I want Belichik.....

But I'll settle for Campo.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Dandy D says it may end up being Bo Pellini Co-DC at Oklahoma. At this point if someone said the pope was going to be the next DC I would have to say it might be a possibility. Pellini does have a decent resume.

2004 Oklahoma - Co-Defensive Coor./ Defensive Backs Coach
    Nov. 30, 2003-Jan. 12, 2004 - Nebraska Interim Head Coach
    2003 Nebraska - Defensive Coordinator
    2000-2002 Green Bay Packers - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1997-1999 New England Patriots - Assistant Coach and Linebackers Coach
    1994-1996 San Francisco 49ers - Assistant Coach/Defensive Backs Coach
    1993 Cardinal Mooney HS (Youngstown, Ohio) - Assistant Coach and Quarterbacks Coach
    1991 Iowa - Graduate Assistant and Receivers Coach

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Bo's a good one.....I wouldnt mind having him.