I know this is for recipes, but...

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Vincent4Heisman, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Has anyone ever ate at Mothers on Poydras St. in New Orleans?

I went there with my sister and brother-in-law and their kids the other night and man, that was some of the best food I've ever had.

I had the fried fish platter which came with two filets (huge) of catfish on top of a moutain of fries, a cup of red beans and rice with pulled pork, sausage and huge kidney beans and a couple of pieces of bread.

My mom and my god-son shared a half of a roast beef poboy which would be a whole if ordered elsewhere. It wasn't thinly sliced roast beef, it was oven cooked shredded roast with the gravy dripped on it.

Talk about fabulous!

As many times as I've been to New Orleans, I was actually steered to Mothers from a homeless guy who I gave $8.00 to. I gave him the money and told him to go get some food and he told me about Mothers.

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

never have eaten there but i will next time in n.o. (i'm getting the combo). the critics agree with you (see below):

Mother's Restaurant ($)
    401 Poydras St
    New Orleans, LA 70130-3207
    Phone: (504) 523-9656
    Fax: (504) 525-7671

Recommended: Food

Prompt seating - mixed
    Make reservations - no
    Romantic - no
    Good for kids - yes
    Good for groups - no
    Recommended - yes

Citysearch Editorial Review

By Chad Kirtland

Editorial Rating: Recommended

The perfect po' boy is worth the wait at this cafeteria-style deli.

The Scene
    Tourists, locals and CBD suits crowd this cafeteria-style deli. Order at the stainless steel counter, then squeeze into a table or perch against the window overlooking downtown. Celebrity mug shots and military memorabilia offer a glimpse of the restaurant's more than 60-year history.

The Food
    The menu samples many New Orleans home-cooked standards--from breakfast to blue-plate lunches--but the highlight is the quintessential po' boy, a sloppy French bread sandwich overloaded with meat and dressings. The paragon is Mother's signature Ferdie special: baked ham and debris (roast beef pieces that fall in the gravy while cooking) topped with shredded cabbage, pickles and mustard. Get plenty of napkins. Dishes like half a fried chicken, the jambalaya-étouffée-red beans-potato salad combo and spaghetti pie are also sure bets.

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Actually this forum is for any discussion revolving around food or drink. Restaurants, bars, clubs, entertaining, etc. Chat away.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My husband (a Chicago and Dallas native) swears by Mother's, but I'm not really into it.

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

This FORUM is for FOOD.

6. snorton938

you better believe it.....making it......ordering it......eating it......thinking about it.......dreamin' it.......all of it ...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

We haven't covered excreting it yet. :grin:

8. snorton938

you bad........ :D :D :D :D

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'll leave that one up to you. Maybe you want to start a thread about your favorite toilet paper.

:( :dis:

10. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Mother's is awesome. It looks like a real dive, but in New Orleans that usually means great food. It looks old because it IS old - opened in the 1920s. If you go during peak lunch times you will see at least 50 people lined up on the sidewalk waiting to get in.

I've heard their plate lunches are great, but I wouldn't know because I can't go there and not get a poboy. The "debris" is a roast beef poboy made from the little pieces of meat that fall off the roast into the jus. It is so tender that you hardly chew at all. The meat melts in your mouth and the bread is half liquid from the jus that soaks into it.

Their signs say they are famous for their baked ham. I've never had the ham by itself but the "Ferdi" is a debris poboy as described above but with the ham added too. Its, well, as great as it sounds. I'm getting hungry just typing this.