I was at the AZ, BYU game and:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by aztiger, Sep 5, 2006.

1. aztiger

aztiger Missing Crawfish & LSU

I was very dissapointed in AZ offense. They had zero running game, if it were not fo a broken running play they would have had a grand total of less than 15 yards against BYU. So you would think they would be able to throw the ball, well think again.....Tuitama was terrible. They could not hit open receivers and receivers are way undersized (but steptoe is quick). Defense looked much better than last year, but unfortunately they will be on the fiels for too long.
    I think Tuitama is much better than he showed Sat. night and will be better as the year goes. I was hoping it would be a close game but now I think you shoul take LSU -15. Looks like, smells like, it is TIGER BAIT!
    One thing, AZ kicker has a huge leg.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Thanks for the good scouting report. Always good to have a spy in the enemy camp! :hihi:

3. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

That's ok, we love visiting kickers

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. aztiger

Classic!

5. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Nice illustration there...couldnt have gotten the idea without that!!:wink:

6. Cubix

Cubix Founding Member

Yea, Tuitama was very shakey during the game. But he was missing recievers before the game too, so I don't think it had anything to do with BYU. Not to mention he went against vastly superior DB's this offseason and looked great. He has all of Tucson on his shoulders and I think the pressure got to him a little last game.

Against LSU, with nothing to lose, I think he will have a very good game. I know your DB's are really good, but they aren't all that much better than ours, and he was doing GREAT this offseason, even with the defense knowing a lot of the offenses plays. Here's hoping for a rebound!

On the running aspect, we looked terrible, and that was mostly because Canales was calling the worst game ever. If he calls even close to the same predictable plays, then you will run over us. But with Mike Thomas back, he should be able to open the playbook up some more and get a couple deep passes to Money Mike.

7. aztiger

He looked great wearing a red jersey and every defensive player not wanting to hurt their star QB. The difference is the front 7 of LSU are big, fast, and will be trying to take his head off, not to mention Landry and other DB's blitzing.......you cannot simulate that in practice, period. Remember, The "U" was talking about how great Wright was before Florida Sate. Game speed, and especially LSU speed is a different animal.
    I agree with you about Willie, he will be a really good QB later, but untill that young line gets it together, it will be ugly against top teams.
    All I can say is beat USC in three weeks...I will be at the game saying GEAUX CATS, Beat the F^%%^ING Trojans!

8. Cubix

Cubix Founding Member

True, but don't make the mistake of assuming our DB's and defense is so much slower than yours, you might have faster linebackers, but besides that, we compare very well. They should just roll him out, and when you start playing contain, move him back in. Alas, I don't think Canales is capable of calling the same type of plays he called back when he tutored Phillip Rivers.

You guys will get a lot of yards, as will every team, but our defensive scheme is designed to get more difficult the smaller the field is left...

9. aztiger

My point had nothing to do with your teams speed (by the way I am a season ticket holder and love the cats, except this week) it's the fact that during camp, QB's dont see agressive defenses trying to knock them out, same is true of Russell. Again the point is u cant compare how they look in practice.....we all know that.

I think you should cut Canales some slack. He played not to lose, period. And if you think anyone associated with the entire athletic department would have been happy with a loss, your nuts. It was obvious that they were deliberately conservative and that is only natural when you have EVERYTHING to lose. Going into LSU with a home loss under your belt would have set us back a month. So it was ugly, but I think Canales will start to open things up. I think they keep this game close untill the 3rd, maybe beginning of the 4th. But at some point defense will be tired and we will be leaning on them and start to have our way. I say 35 to 21 LSU

10. Cubix

Cubix Founding Member

I agree about the practice thing.

I have no problem with playing not to lose, especially an up and coming team, but it wasn't just that way at the end, it was the whole game, and pretty much every game except UCLA and OSU last year. He will definately need to have some better/more diverse playcalling this week.

If our Offense can score 21, then I think it is less than a two TD game. The only way you score over 30 is if we can't move the ball. But if we can get 3 TD's then I expect it should be within 10, as the defense won't be that tired.

My prediction:
    If we can score:
    24-20 LSU (could go either way at that point)

If we can't move the ball:
    33-13

I can see it really close or I can see it a big win.