I won't bash Tenn on their board.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jean Lafitte, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I won't do it, because our backup QB's brother plays for them. However, I have an honest opinion that I wish to express here:

For the first time, I am seriously doubting that HC Phil Fulmer is a very good head coach.

Why?

Did you see how unprepared Tenn seemed? Did you notice how SLOWLY they adjusted to the adverse weather conditions?

I feel very certain that Tenn would be much better off with a new head coach. Phil Fulmer is vastly overrated.

I hope that Alabama beats Tenn this year. That would be hilarious.

Thoughts?

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well you make an interesting argument. Lets face it. LSU beat Tennessee last year. LSU was one of the top teams in the nation at season end and personally not team except for Miami got have stopped LSU had LSU been hitting on all cylinders as they did against the Illini.

Anyway, LSU is 2 for 3 against them. Florida owns them. Tennessee has the best talent in the SEC (Even Florida) but yet they always seem to lose the big one once a year. Sort of like Texas.

Anyway, I want Bama to because I like Bama when not playing LSU and That makes our west look good.

So none the less. With the talent they have, you figure they would always be the best in the SEC and as of late, either LSU or Florida gets em every year.

Dont bash opposing teams on anyone else's board. That is what people like BAMAFAN03 and that Auburn guy (Not chuck) do. WE are above that.

Geaux Tigers.

3. Jean Lafitte

Exactly correct about HC Fulmer

Tenn fans need to realize how little Fulmer does with the talent that he has. Tenn was totally outcoached against Fla. LSU totally outcoached Fulmer. Tenn loses to teams with less talent rather regularly. Tenn fans must sometimes wonder why? Bad Luck? Curse of Spurrier? No way. Fulmer gets whipped by a BRAND NEW FLORIDA HC AND STAFF!!!

High School players should realize this. Louisiana High School players should especially think about this.

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Tennesse had a disaster second quarter. Chances are it will not happen again. Tennesse came out and won the second half against a good Florida team. Florida is not as bad as Miami made them look. I believe Tennesse will be in the SEC Championship game. Florida will lose two more games. LSU and Georgia. Sometimes Sh.. Happens, it happened to Tennesse in the 2nd quarter saturday. Fulmer is one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. He puts together a great staff and recruits great players. He has won a national title and he is competing for the SEC Championship game every year. I route for the Tigers, then the SEC West, even though it is very hard to route for Auburn, then the SEC East. If Miami and Notre Dame were playing I would go play golf.

5. Jean Lafitte

Fulmer in Top 5?

"Fulmer is one of the top 5 coaches in the nation."

That is a very strong statement. Perhaps you have spent more time than I on analyzing this issue. I will not dismiss your opinion out of hand, however, I have my doubts about its accuracy.

Let's put it to the group! Don't be shy, everybody! What do you think:

Phil Fulmer: Top 5 HC? Or overrated underachiever?

6. TexasTigers

Well you cannot call him an under achiever. He has won a NC and has been really only one of two teams to win the east year in and year out.

The SEC is arguably the best conference in the nation, For sure top 2. With that said, Tennessee has been one of the top 2 teams every year since the split with Bama making some noise on occasion and LSU making noise last year.
    Them and Florida lets be honest have been the cream of the crop for a long time. All of us striving to beat them. We have owned Tennessee as of late, (2 of 3) but Tennessee and Florida have fantastic programs.

So if reference to Phil. I would NOT call him a underachiever if you win a National Championship from the SEC.

Geaux Tigers

7. BAMAFAN03

BAMAFAN03 Guest

SABAN RULES THOUGH! GEAUX TIGERS

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

With the departure of Visor Boy to the NFL Saban is the best coach in the SEC. I just hope he stays here long enough to proove it I still beleve that if Arnsparger had stuck around here a few more years The Tigers would have won a National Championship with him. Nick has a new contract that gives him at least $1 a year more than any other college coach if he brings a National Title to Baton Rouge. Fullmer has won it all the year after Payton Manning left with T Martin as QB (who would have thunk it) Saban is a guy who could have probably already had a
    head coaching job in the NFL had he chosen to do so. The last 2 years under Saban the Tigers have started out slow and then come on strong at the end of the season. Lee Corso of ESPN made a pre season predtiction of LSU & Texas in the Fiesta Bowl for the Title. After losing the first game to Virginia Tech that might still be a possibility but for that to happen there has to be a hell of a lot of improvement in a lot of areas. The 1987 New York Giants were 0-5 after the first 5 games and won the Superbowl that year but it dosen't work the same way in college football. In the NFL a team can have injured players and all kinds of problems a the beginning of the year but if they are able to put it all together and get into the playoffs they are still in the title hunt.
    In the NCAA the same performance gets you into the Weedeater Bowl. Going into last years SEC title game LSU was 8-3, having been blown out by Florida and lost games that were winable to Tennessee & Ole Miss with a few breaks. If LSU had won those 2 games they would have had a 10-1 record going into the SEC title game instead of 8-3. With the way the BCS national title picture fell into place at the end of the season with Florida, then Oklahoma, Texas and then with Tennessee's loss to LSU in the SEC Championship game, was LSU any less deseving than Nebraska to play for the National Championship? Did 2 losses in early and mid season make LSU a team that was not as good as they ended up being? Winning the SEC would have put LSU into the playoffs if the NCAA had playoffs. I don't know if the Tigers would have beaten Miami but does anybody doubt that they would have put up a hell of a lot better effort than Nebraska did?

9. Jean Lafitte

Could we have played Miami closer than Neb?

It's nice to think so, but I don't know.

I like the idea that HCNS is the best coach in the SEC. I hope that he can continue to prove that.

Let's talk about what a difference coaching can make. I'm no big Notre Dame fan, but this new coach of theirs has really turned them around!

10. TexasTigers

Coaching is a huge difference. Looking at these examples.

Bob Stoops - Basically took the kids (Cannot remember his name) and won a NC with them. The same players. He recruited NONE of the starting lineup in the NC game

Notre Dame as you point out.

Our own Nick Saban - He suited up Dinardos kids, his first season and won a Peach Bowl. Last year I would say more his recruits made an impact but the big time players, Rohan, Reed, etc etc we mostly Dinardos kids.

Coach Fran at Bama - Look what he is accomplishing at Bama with the NCAA issues and what not.

I think a coach makes all the difference in the world. At some point the players make plays. I could coach Miami to a National Title game. But when you an average team a coach can make you an above average player.

I do think Nick Saban is one of the top 3 coaches in the SEC. Look at how many job offers and how many times his name is mentioned for every coaching job from Notre Dame to the Colts.

Geaux Tigers.