If we go 12-1 or 11-2, do you think Miles still cans Crowton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Nov 14, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If we go 12-1 or 12-2 . . . Les will do whatever he wants to do and he won't give a rat's ass what the fans think.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Unfortunately, I think if we go 12-1 or 11-2, then Crowton stays. People have argued that player execution is limiting what Crowton can do and there is truth to that. However, if coaches weren't fired whenever players weren't executing, then no coaches would ever be fired.

Gary Crowton's philosophy isn't in sync with Miles' philosophy and we don't necessarily recruit to fit GC's offense. Crowton's offense seems to work with a proper QB, but the we kind of have a problem finding that. When Crowton doesn't have the pieces in place, he struggles to adapt. As of right now, the future of the QB position for the next 2, maybe 3 years doesn't look promising.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

correct

3 years and counting, someone has to take the blame and the players change each year. Who is responsible for getting the players to execute on offense? I think he stays, but he should go. Time for a lot of new faces on the offensive coaching staff.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There is nothing unfortunate about going 12-1 or 11-2. Especially when just about everybody picked 9-4 or 8-5 for this young team. What was our preseason ranking? What is it now?

5. SabanFan

Based upon the way our receivers catch, I hope not.

6. SabanFan

3 years and improvement in the team every year culminating in (to this point) a #5 ranking. Who's responsible?

7. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I am not, and have never been a negative fan. I've been an LSU fan since the late 80's, so I'm not some fair weather, bandwagon fan that thinks we should be in the BCSNCG every year.

However, we're 9-1 and its pretty easy to say that if we had a good offense, we would have had a MUCH better chance of beating Auburn. You can even say that we probably would have beat them considering we only lost by 1 TD late in the game.

I'm not looking for a "scapegoat", either, as someone above implied. Are our players responsible to a degree? Yup, but if our QB's and receivers are not being coached and taught, then that is also the responsibility of the Offensive Coordinator and his coaches. People can say till they're blue in the face that "if the whole Perriloux thing hadn't happened, blah blah blah".......well, guess what, that was 3 years ago. We have 2 QBs that have an entire season under their belt and part of another and there has been NO improvement. In fact, in a lot of ways, they have gotten worse. I think Lee and Jefferson both have talent, but I don't think they're being taught, molded, and guided by anyone. They keep making the same mistakes, have the same bad habits, are even picking up more bad habits, and are certainly not making the improvements that an experienced, well coached QB makes.

After years of watching the damn option play flounder, don't you think someone would have either scrapped the damn play, taught Jefferson to run the play properly ( attack the option defender, don't run in a backwards arc or toward the sideline ). I can't honestly believe that someone has actually spent time teaching Jefferson to run the option correctly and that he does it over and over in practice, and then come game time, he just totally forgets and does it wrong.

Also, our players do make mistakes, but someone is in charge of calling the plays that are not giving our players a chance to be successful. Last night, both Lee and Jefferson are having trouble throwing. ULM was leaving the middle of the field WIDE OPEN all night, but do we call a seam route to the TE or a post route? NOPE. We try to throw deep outs. A difficult to throw, difficult to catch, and easily picked off pass. That is one small example, but our entire game plans are not geared toward giving our players an opportunity for success.

I want our team to be the best they can be, and I'm not being negative by saying that we have great athletes out there and more coming in every year. Our offense should NOT be ranked in the 100's. So, I personally feel that our players are not being taught and coached up properly and our playcalling absolutely sucks. So,yes, I think Crowton is responsible.

Just my opinion...........not looking for a scapegoat or being a negatiger with ridiculous expectations, just expect more than we've been shown by the Offense this year and know that there is an overarching reason for it.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Improvement where? On offense? I think not! As a team absolutely outstanding. 9-1 and ranked #5 is excellent. The defense wonderful! The special teams, just special! the offense putrid 3 years running!

Who's responsible? Recruiting Miles, absolutely incredible. Selecting a defensive staff and letting them have the reins, Miles outstanding again. Keeping the program going at a high level and being ranked so high this late? Miles, all Miles, Thank you Les. Offense? Need lot's of fingers to point there and many are responsible.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The paradox is that an OC can't excel without capable quarterbacks and that quarterbacks cannot excel without capable offensive coaching. We are just not in a position to know where the problem lies. I am beginning to think that it lies at both QB and OC.

Indeed. Two straight bottom-100 offenses should get any OC fired . . . and it should get its quarterbacks replaced, too. Easier said than done.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We have no QB.

Sean Payton could come in next year and look like he doesn't know what he is doing.

The bigger question is Mettzenberger (if we get him) is probably much better than either of the 2 we currently have. But there is no way he cracks the lineup next year with Les' propensity for loyalty to his seniors.

Mettzenberger is killing it in JC. Somebody close to the situation says he has the strongest arm in college football and has a 25 to 3 TD to Int ratio. He is one game away from playing for the national championship at the JUCO level, taking a preseason unranked team to an undefeated season. His off the field issue he had appears to be way in his past at this point. The kid appears to be an absolute winner.

Les Miles is tied at the hip to JJ. It's evident. We'll see how next spring shakes out, but I am not holding my breath on this one.