If you had to pick one SEC player to add to LSU...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by j0nathanr0y, Apr 17, 2004.

1. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

My point was to say that some people talked about how good your OL was going to be last year, which I agreed with, then when they shut down Pollack...you all speak of how over-rated he was...so are you all calling your OL over-rated? (Hint, I know you aren't). Pollack rarely has any supporters outside of this state but the fact remains that he has taken over so many games for us that it's unbelievable, against some of our biggest rivals...UT, UF, AU, Tech, ext.... The guy's weight last year was ridiculous. Pollack thought getting bigger in the upper-body would translate to more sacks which was far from the truth yet he still played quite well most of the year. Even with that slowness and some new starters, he had his 2nd straight All-American season is hoping for his 3rd. He got beaten and shut down twice against LSU....ok? Many people got shut down by you guys. Pollack has had some great games against UT and even UF recently...I think you all shuting him down is a compliment to what Saban has done to the LSU program where the SEC's best can't have an effect on his team

By the way, where did I say he didn't improve? I think you're thinking of someone else.

As for Greene, he won the SEC award without really splitting time with Shockley. I believe DJ played some in Clemson, Kentucky, and USC...but that is where he got injured. He won the award playing literally the whole season by himself.

Not getting into the Mauck/Greene argument though...two great QBs...

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Hmm...I seem to remember a Georgia fan on here not talking about all the weight he had put on in the upper body, but in his legs...bragging about how many players that LSU had that could squat 700 pounds...

I'm wondering if the UGA S&C staff had any control over Pollack's offseason program whatsoever? He just decided on his own to do more upper body work? Whose minding the store in the offseason in Athens, the players or the S&C staff?

Bottom line, if you want to talk from a strict productivity standpoint, the fact is that David Pollack had his best year of his collegiate career where he had an NFL STARTER on the interior of the defensive line taking double teams and schemes away from him. This allowed him to thrive.

An All-American gets schemed against and still perserveres. Like Chad Lavalais. David Pollack was overhyped that year because Georgia went 13-1 and were media darlings and beat FSU in the vaunted Richt/Bowden showdown/letdown...

He, and your team, came back down to earth this past year. You lost twice to us, once to Radio Zook, and came with a pube hair of losing to Purdue in your bowl game. Pollack is just not that good. Jonathan Sullivan did more for him than even David Pollack can do for himself...

I'll put a pitcher on the fact that David Pollack won't be anymore than a third round draft pick, and TWO on the fact that he will make ZERO Pro Bowl appearances in his professional career.

Think of him like the moon. Sullivan was the sun, and when Sullivan was there, he shone like the brightest star in the sky...but it was like the moon shines...it's reflected from the sun...When the sun's gone...So is the moon's shine...and if you think Pollack's an All-American level player, you've been drinking moonshine...

3. SouthLink02

Chip and a few other UGA fans came here...I would guess that is them...I thought that the additional weight would help him as well but I along with many were dead wrong. There goes my Nutrition License :D

And yes, Pollack and Richt were on the same page. In fact, Pollack worked out constantly with several other players this off-season at UGA, Atlanta, and another place in Georgia I can't even pronounce.

As for UGA coming down to earth...I take that as a huge compliment because 10 wins and an SEC East Title is "down" then I can only imagine what it will be like to be "up". Losing to the National Title winner and the usual UF loss isn't that bad in my book.

As for Pollack, yes...I am not arguing that he will NEVER rematch what he did in 2002. From a stat perspective, he wont even come close. No arguments there. But to say Sullivan is hands down better is just flat-out wrong. Sully ate up the middle like no other but Pollack had more tackles outside the blocks, quite a bit single tackles, much more pressure from the OTHER side of the field, and countless other tactics that helped us win some important games.

I think you may believe I am saying the guy is a god or will repeat his 2002 stats. He won't...but to call a 2-time All-American over-rated because he got shut down twice to the National Champs I just don't get.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I dont think you need a great QB and I have always believed that. I dont think you need great QB play but as Mauck proved, you need leadership and smart QB play IF you are surrounded by great ppl on offense and defense. Philip Rivers was a great college QB but had no defense at all and no great O line to buy him time in big games. QB experience is not overrated since for every Rohan you cite with little experience i can cite 200 others who had experience who beat those without.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The last 4 QBs to win the NC:

2000 - Josh Hybl - OU
    2001 - Ken Dorsey - Miami
    2002 - Craig Krenzel - Ohio State
    2003 - Matt Mauck - LSU

Only Dorsey made any All American lists and wasn't drafted until the late rounds.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

David Pollack=Alex Brown

Alex Brown made a collegiate career out of one game against Tennessee.

Pollack will make a career out of Jonathan Sullivan helping him out his first year on the defensive line...

Skip to my lue on that one, buddy...and no hard feelings, just a disagreement of his talent level...

7. tirk

when was dorsey drafted? I don't recall.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In the 6th or 7th round by the 49ers. Dorsey had a decent showing in last seasons preseason games and now with Jeff Garcia gone to the Browns he might get a shot at the backup job behind Tim Rattay.

9. tirk

i miss the days when there were 100 rounds and everyone had a shot to get drafted. kinda like baseball.

Wasn't Piazza picked in the 62nd round just cuz Lasorda was his godfather? heh.

10. SouthLink02

When did I ever say he will make a great NFL player? No argument here...he won't be an all-pro on the NFL circuit...but there is a huge difference between being a good college and pro player.