If you were a great HS QB why would you want to play in the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by OVD, Jul 12, 2006.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont know what the "ice belt" is, but its damn cold in pullman. been there. not like seattle. is on the east side of the cascades.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Not to interject in an interesting thread about living in Hawaii, and statistics and such, but perhaps what I read into the original thread was, "does the SEC adequately showcase a QB talent?"

I think that's a legitimate question, when you look at schools or conferences that "highlight" a "west coast" offense, or lead to QB's gaudy numbers, do they lead to higher draft picks? For example, does the PAC-10 or West conferences like BYU of old, or Utah, lead to QBs that get drafted first or second, as opposed to late first round or second round? Yes, Campbell and Mauck get drafted, but they're not Matt Leinert, they're not Alex Smith, who arguably are not more talented athletically, but get into the highlight films as good "passers" "leaders" etc.

My belief is that NFL scouts do enough analysis to really understand what a player brings to the table these days, whether it's athletic talent, brains, leadership, etc., and that's why Jay Cutler shows a relatively unrecruited SEC QB can skip to the first round of the NFL, but certain programs, systems can give a QB better chance to shine.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont buy that the sec has problems here. recently cutler and manning didnt do bad. then there was the other manning and couch. soon you'll probably have jr (perriloux), tebow, mustain.

i think any discrepancies come down to impressions recruits have about conferences/schools.

4. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

It wasn't a real question [​IMG]. ...since you brought it up, what's a ticket to the mainland nowadays, a grand? That would really suck, being stuck in paradise and all. I wonder if there's some info on how many kids have asked for transfers from U of H after getting homesick?

5. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

$1,103 Baton Rouge to Honolulu with one stop in Houston

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

usually cheaper for me to get to honolulu than La.

i'd imagine most of their mainland players are from the west coast